Use TL-POE150S with higher voltage?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-07 12:53:55 - last edited 2020-09-08 00:48:21

Hello,

is it possible to use the TL-POE150S injector with more than 48V?

I am powering a POE device using a TL-POE150S at 48V. But due to a relative long and flat cable (~15 Ohm per line), the device is not working stable, but can handle up to 57V. So can I replace the power supply at the TL-POE150S with maybe a 56V supply?

If I understood the datasheet correctly, the TL-POE150S has a current limiter and it is not necessary to add an extra fuse to the power supply. But can the injector work with 56V?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Use TL-POE150S with higher voltage?
2020-09-08 03:49:05

Dear @mista,

So can I replace the power supply at the TL-POE150S with maybe a 56V supply?

It's recommended to use the provided external 48VDC power adapter to power up the TL-POE150S.

DO NOT use a 56V power supply to power up the TL-POE150S as it might damage the device and affect the warranty by the improper power supply.

But due to a relative long and flat cable (~15 Ohm per line), the device is not working stable, but can handle up to 57V.

Back to your original issue, please verify whether the powered device is compatible with the IEEE 802.3af standard or not.

The TL-POE150S is compatible with the IEEE 802.3af standard, which will detect the powered device and determine the necessary power to the powered device, and it can deliver power up to 100 meters. If the powered device supports IEEE 802.3af, you may try changing a different cable, CAT5 above cable is suggested.

Additional note:

IEEE802.3af standard defines the maximum output power from a single port to be 15.4W and the operating power to be 48V.

Hope the information above is helpful.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-09-08 10:41:24 - last edited 2020-09-08 10:45:03

@Fae Im powering an Ubiquity AC-Mesh. It does work with 48V, even up to 57.

The cable is 20m long, but flat. I don't need it to be very flat, but I have to mount it at a stone facede, which works fine using glue, but I cannot stick a round cable onto that wall.

The AC-Mesh turns off the 5 Ghz Wifi after a few minutes, if I'm using such flat cables. Well, I tested one twisted pair of such a flat cable with a current of 2.5A and it's getting warm but isn't melting or vaping, so a maximum current of 0.3A for POE, which spreads over at least two twisted pairs is no problem in terms of safety.

We arte talking about a voltage drop of maybe 4.5V at the device, so the AC-Mesh sould still have 43.5V availlable at maximum load. I don't understand why this causes problems, but If I compensate this voltage drop at the injector, it will hopefully work.

The POE control circuits are maybe just analog electronics with some transistors and Op-Amps... If there is a circuit plan availlable for the TL-POE150S, I can maybe find out, if it can handle higher voltages.

Options
2020-11-04 16:35:33

Okay, I've tested a POE150S with more than 60V an it didn't break. When a POE-Device is connected, the inserter delivers the complete input voltage to the POE-Output. So Yes, the POE150S can obviously be used to supply higher voltages.

But this didn't solve the problem with my AC-Mesh. I have measured some ripple voltage at the input capacitor of the AC-Mesh, which could be the reason for the problem. Well, an other AC-Mesh, which I bought, is working fine - don't know, what the difference is, but the problem is solved anyway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 736

Replies: 3

Related Articles