wired mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

wired mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
wired mesh
wired mesh
2020-09-11 07:17:33
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

hi,

i have a small business and i need to install 3 eap outdoors.

where i will put the eaps there is also a lan/wirred connect to modem ! but i want to use the mesh technology in order to avoid passing again and again the passwords when i pass from one eap to another !

how can i do that please? is there an option?

thank you

Options
6 Reply
Re:wired mesh
2020-09-11 08:28:01 - last edited 2020-09-11 08:46:41

@vagelismin, you don't need a mesh network to offer your clients basic roaming functionality w/o having to specify an encryption key every time passing to another EAP. The solution is to use the same SSID and the same encryption key for all of your EAPs.

In fact, basic roaming has been there since the very first 802.11 standard. It's the reason why each AP has two SSIDs: the ESSID for the Extended Service Set (this is what people mean if they talk about the »SSID«, it's the name for a WLAN as seen in a wireless survey) and the BSSID for the Basic Service Set (a single AP as seen in a wireless survey). You can even roam between APs of different vendors:

If you can wire EAPs, wire them. Mesh networks do have disadavantages compared to wired EAPs.

The only advantage of a mesh network is to save a cable from the EAP to the wired network.

The disadvantages of a mesh network are:

• decreasing bandwidth (½ bandwidth in the 5 GHz band for every mesh hop),
  • the Hidden Node Problem for clients in the 5 GHz band,
  • and, most important, the reduction of total user capacity from ~60-80 clients per EAP to ~60-80 clients for all meshed EAPs together in both, the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz bands.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-09-11 12:00:50

@R1D2 

thank you so much for your kind reply. i am a very begginer and i just follow the setting instructions from tplink.

when i finished the set up of the second ep it requested again password to access to internet.

i think all the access points use different ip address. do they need to use all of them the same IP ? any  idea why it asked again password and how i can solve?

i am grateful

vaggelis

Options
2020-09-11 12:16:49 - last edited 2020-09-11 12:21:04

@vagelismin, you're welcome.

What exactly do you mean with »password«? The encryption key / WPA key? Or a portal password?

EAPs offer many different authentication schemes.

Next question: are you using the EAPs in stand-alone mode (web UI for management) or in managed mode (Omada Controller for management)?

vagelismin wrote

i think all the access points use different ip address. do they need to use all of them the same IP ?

The EAP must not use the same IP; each EAP needs its own, unique IP address.

An EAP's IP address does not play any role for a client connecting to a wireless network. The equivalent of an IP address in a wireless network is the BSSID (AP »address«/ID), which is determined by the client device by looking up the ESSID (WLAN name/ID).

Options
2020-09-11 12:24:24

@R1D2 

thank you. all i need is our clients when they visit us to give the password to the ep and have access to the internet all over the place no matter from which ep they use.

i completed the set up of the second ep. i unplugged the first. but i was not connected to the second automatically. i had to give again password

Options
2020-09-11 12:27:01

@vagelismin 

i use the omada controller from windows.

once again thank you you are so kind

Options
2020-09-11 12:38:04

vagelismin wrote

i had to give again password

You need to save the passwort in the wireless client (setting »remember this WLAN« or similar in your client device). Once saved, the client will roam between different EAPs using the same SSID and credentials w/o requesting the encryption key again. Make sure you really did set the same encryption key for the different EAPs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 834

Replies: 6

Related Articles