Adding unmanaged switch to TP-Link T1600G-28PS managed switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-12 18:42:30
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.5 Build 20200110 Rel.50207(s)

My network looks like this:

Netgear CM1200 --> Edgerouter4 (DHCP server is here) --> TP-Link T1600G-28PS --> access points and end devices

I am trying to add an unmanaged switch to the T1600G-28PS "smart switch" but its not working. I plug things in and no lights on the unmanaged switch (I've tried 2 diff devices). But if I connect an end device like my garage opener that connects and starts to work. I've tested the cat 6 cable and its good. I've tested both unmanaged switches and they are ok. I'm stuck and thinking its maybe a setting in the TP-Link T1600G-28PS?

The two unmanaged switches I am trying to connect are

Netgear GS116NA

Trendnet TEG-S80G

The edgrouter has a basic config that was setup with a wizard. I did not set any extra VLANs or anything fancy.

I turned off PoE on the 2 ports i'm using but that did not give me different results.

I am new to networking and any help or advice will be appreciated!!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Adding unmanaged switch to TP-Link T1600G-28PS managed switch
2020-09-14 12:03:48

Dear @sb932,

I plug things in and no lights on the unmanaged switch (I've tried 2 diff devices).

To confirm, do you mean that the unmanaged switches have no power? OR do you mean the unmanaged switches have power lit up but the corresponding ethernet LEDs are off on either T1600 switch or unmanaged switches when they are connected together?

If you connect a PC to the T1600 switch via the same CAT6 cable, would the cable connected be detected and the PC gets a connection from the T1600 switch?

To eliminate the influence of other equipment, please test it by connecting one single device to the T1600 switch via cable, one unmanaged switch ---------T1600 switch, check if the ethernet lights would light up on the two switches respectively.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 915

Replies: 1

Related Articles