Feedback for 4.1.5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Feedback for 4.1.5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Feedback for 4.1.5
Feedback for 4.1.5
2020-09-15 08:34:45
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.7.0 Build 20200703 Rel.59609

I'm not sure what the proper channel is to provide feedback.  There are lots of good things in the 4.1.5 update, but one thing I particularly dislike is the lack of positive determination for the admin re AP firmware status.

AP Firmware status. No positive instrumentation.

From the manual.

Result:

So I must take it on absolute faith that this EAP225 has the latest firmware at v1.20.0, because it doesn't have an upgrade icon showing in the last column? No, that's not good information. Also I have no way to make the controller double-check.  All my indoor EAP225s show v2.20.1, so it looks like something is wrong.

The absence of a thing is not a positive.  I know it's a trend in UI design, but it's a poor instrumentation approach to remove an icon if its status is green. 

I think it is far superior to always show the upgrade icon, giove it a status colour, but always allow the user to click it at any time to force a check.  I don't want to have to memorise the firmware version numbers myself, e.g. outdoor EAPs are current at v1.20 -  and I don't want to go on absolute blind faith that the OC200 is doing it automatically.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Feedback for 4.1.5
2020-09-15 14:05:45

@CarbonPepper 

I believe your EAP225 outdoor has the latest firmware, mine is 1.20.0, the same as the latest firmware released on official website. The indoor EAP225s use different firmware version from the outdoor EAP, and 2.20.1 is the latest firmware for indoor EAP225.

So I must take it on absolute faith that this EAP225 has the latest firmware at v1.20.0, because it doesn't have an upgrade icon showing in the last column? No, that's not good information. Also I have no way to make the controller double-check.  All my indoor EAP225s show v2.20.1, so it looks like something is wrong.

Options
Re:Feedback for 4.1.5
2020-09-16 07:19:23 - last edited 2020-09-16 07:27:46

CarbonPepper wrote 

The absence of a thing is not a positive.  I know it's a trend in UI design, but it's a poor instrumentation approach to remove an icon if its status is green.

IMO, web UI design patterns loved by web UI designers has become a major issue with latest products, not only for the web UI of Omada Controller, but also for the web UI of JetStream switches.

While Omada SDN Controller added many new useful functions to its web UI and in general did improve the controller's UI layout greatly, there are some annoying changes compared to previous versions which make an admin's life harder:

• »Check for latest firmware version« function disappeard,
  • »Delete log entries« function disappeared,
  • input fields for IP addresses are now divided into four subfields for the four octets, which makes it much harder to enter, modify and delete values (IMO, this is very annoying IMO if you have to set up plenty of different settings for various sites/customers every day).

I think it's because web designers are too fond of hip and groovy Javascript functions instead of just implementing a simple UI mechanism. But administrators almost always prefer functionality over form.

Add my vote to the feature request for adding a »Check for latest firmware version« function again. And I hope that we will see a simple input field for IP addresses in CIDR format in a future version of Omada SDN Controller. When displaying values Omada Controller already uses CIDR format, but does not allow it on input, which is inconsistent.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 2