EAP225-Outdoor V1.8 (new)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-18 02:13:16
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20 Built 20200422

Hello:

I have the AP in Standalone mode. Trying to reach a camera at a gate 100 feet away from AP, clear line of site. I setup with 5ghz and 2ghz SSID's. The 5ghz works great but, I need 2ghz at my gate.

When testing the 2ghz, I changes channels 1/6/11, changes WPA, turned off security, etc. Turned off 5ghz band. Nothing worked. Updated firmware, same issue. Signal RSSI is 50ish. 

Symptoms are, I cannot connect unless withing 10ft of the device. Any further and it does not accept the password or if it does, latency is 800+ and speed test fails.

I have two devices and about to send both back. Can anyone tell me why 2ghz is not working.

Note, I havew a WiFi analisys tool, I know what is on each channel. I am also in a wide open rural area so not busy. 

Would I do better by setting up as a mesh with controller software as I have two devices.

I also had the directional version a few weeks ago and had very similar issues.

Again, connecting to 5ghz, inside or out way past my intended location works great. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP225-Outdoor V1.8 (new)
2020-09-20 14:39:09 - last edited 2020-09-20 14:45:00

Hi @Brumey,

Can you clarify?  You have an outdoor EAP225 which is ethernet connected, mounted outside your home to provide internet access to camera(s) near your gate, 100 feet away?  I assume you have band steering turned off? If not, turn it off  (use separate SSID's per radio).  Also turn off airtime fairness.

Can you describe how your EAP is mounted and powered?  Height, injector, antenna configuration?  Have you tried disconnecting and re-conning the external antennas and/or swapping them.

If you test each SSID from your phone, how far away do you get before the connection/speed to that radio (2.4 vs. 5.8) drops off?  You said you have two such units, and they both behave the same?  If you move around the rest of your property does the 2.4GHz work at all?  Or is it just bad by the gate?

My experience is that 100 feet is a lot to ask with the stock antennas -- at least for my yard -- though some of this depends on mounting height.  But you should be getting better range on 2.4GHz than 5.8GHz.

I had a weird kind of similar issue with mine -- though it was on the 5.8 and not the 2.4 -- where is seemed like some combination of auto channel and low/med/high power made it unhappy.

I switched to manual channels, and to custom power settings (in dBm) and not all is well.  I also optimized my mounting as well -- farther away from the house, closer to the ground, and antennas in v-formation.

Just to double-check, are you sure that there are no sources of NON-WIFI 2.4 GHz RF interference near your gate?  Like for an intercom, sensor, telephone, etc.  Note that a regular Wifi scanner -- like inSSIDER -- won't pick up these sources of interference.

How/where is the camera connected?  Could it be connected via Ethernet to a local travel router in bridge mode (to connect the 5.8GHz signal)?

Options
2020-09-20 14:48:41

Also, 2.4 GHz radio should be set to 20MHz.  5.8GHz radio could be 80 or 20.  80 will give maximum bandwidth with good signal.  20 will give slightly better range with less BW.

Options
2020-09-20 15:58:23

@JSchnee21 

Hello:

EAP225 is mounted on mask, 8ft above roof. Gat is 100ft away. Ethernet fed AP on roof and powered from POE inector inside house.

Both 2.4 and 5ghz on, different SSID's. 20mhz bandwith on 2ghz, 5ghz is default but works.

Good suggestion on swapping the antenna's, have not tried but can if I continue to have isses with 2ghz.

When I go outsid the house, 25ft from EAP, direct line of sight, 5ghz gets full streghth signal and great throughput using speed test. ghz, I seem to get great signal streghth but it drops most speed tests, fails to connect most of the time claiming bad password (its not). Can not conects reliably to 2ghz at all.

My plan, hopefully today is to implement the second EAP225 at the gat and use the software to mesh them. My goal is to have 5ghz as the backhaul to EAP225 - GATE. They, have a 2.4ghz network at gate (My cam is only 2.4ghz.). 

I really should try swapping the the antenna's like you said or put the second EAP225 on the mast in standalone mode to see if I have a bad EP225.  I previously had the directional TPLink, I don't remember the model number but it had no external antenna's, AP-300 I think. It had similar symptoms except it 5ghz was poor too. 

I was thinking of moving to the Mesh setup because the device at the gate end does not have good antenna's and if it only had to got a few feet to EAP225-GATE and them the 5ghz link would take it back to the house and Ethernet. Might just be a batter design.

Thanks for your help, Will swap antenna's and device today and test more.

Options
2020-09-20 16:10:33

@Brumey 

Mast on roof is metal... Probably not best but works fine on 2.4ghz.

Also have channels well seperated, in house using 1 and 11. EAP using 6.

Options
2020-09-20 22:03:16

Okay, update. 

I reconfigured the EAP's to be in mesh. The Host or main wired EAP225 Outdoor on mast. The new EAP225 -outdoor in temporary masy 150-180 feet away, line of sight. 

I turned of the 2ghz radio on host as I beleive it only needs 5ghz to link to the other EAP. 

I can now authenticate and correct at the remote location on 2ghz. Hoewever, the performance is very poor. I have  solid 25mb up/down Internet service. When testing at the gate on 2ghz, performation is 4-5mb, in bursts. It myght start at 15mb but drop to 2 or 3mb before test completes. 

See attached file. When testing, the errors and retries just increased with traffic. 

5ghz set to 20/40/80

2ghz set to 20

I am in a rural area, not much congestion.

I am begining to beleive that the 2GHz part of this Access Point (Both) is faulty. In standalone mode, I get a clean fast connection on 5ghz. On 2ghz, both units and a previous directional EAP I get unreliable, drops, fail to authenticate, very slow.

Okay, meshing the two got the 2ghz signal usable but its not clean and I need it for a security camera. I cannot affort to have packer errors and loss!

File:
TPLINK Errors and retries.JPGDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 980

Replies: 5

Related Articles