Seemless wi fi with eap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Seemless wi fi with eap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Seemless wi fi with eap
Seemless wi fi with eap
2020-09-21 22:47:20 - last edited 2020-09-23 11:02:21
Model: EAP115  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hi , I have two of the eap 115, access points.

my idea was to create a larger, more reliable Wi-fi network in my home. I have managed to set up both units but wanted to be able to use them to create one wi fi network but at the moment they seem to be as 2 separate units.

how do I set them up so that, for example, visitors can log onto the network with one password and have seemless coverage wherever they are in the house ?

any help would be appreciated

Options
4 Reply
Re:Seemless wi fi with eap
2020-09-23 13:42:24

Hi @Saddy,

Sure, all access points support this capability.  It is called basic roaming.  It doesn't even matter if the AP's are the same make / model.

Connect both AP's to the same Ethernet network. (for example connect both to your broadband router vis Ethernet).

And then configure both AP's to use the same:

SSID name(s)

Wifi Password

Encryption type (e.g. WPA2).

Configure the AP's to use different radio channels (not sure if you are in the USA) but for example Ch1 and Ch11 for 2.4Ghz, and Ch 36 and Ch 149 for 5.8GHz.  Turn broadcast power down to medium or so.

Then on your mobile devices, join the SSID, enter the password, and Voila, basic roaming.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-09-23 13:59:16

Note that "seemless roaming" is non-technical marketing jargon for the 802.11k/v/r standards which are generally referred to as "Fast Roaming".  The Seemless Roaming jargon seems to have taken hold in Europe for some reason.

Here are more details:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2097/

In order to support 802.11k/v/r Fast Roaming, there are three basic requirements:

1) AP's need to support it and have it turned on

2) Clients need to support it (it's either built in or it's not)

3) you need a network controller (like Omada / OC-200 / SDN) to facilitate the handovers.

Note that in 90+% of cases, basic roaming (as I had described previously) works perfectly for the majority of cases.  Including tele/video conferences and Wi-Fi calling.

Options
2020-09-24 18:28:35
Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK and will give this a go tonight. Let you know how I go on. regards Andy
Options
2020-09-25 13:16:52

Hi @Saddy,

Sure, my pleasure. 

FYI, If you have multiple EAP's (even just 2) it's very helpful to centrally manage them through Omada or SDN server (SDN is the newer, upgraded version of Omada).  TP-Link makes this software available for free and you can run it on any PC.  Ideally it's best to keep it running 24x7.  But this isn't required unless you want to use FAST roaming or dynamic wireless MESH re-configuration.  TP-Link also sells a small network appliance (the OC-200) which can run Omada/SDA.  In the states is only ~$80-90.

While basic roaming should work fine for you, I'm not sure if the EAP115's even support the newer Fast Roaming standard.  I know the 225V3 and 245V3 do.

Also, should you decide to switch from locally configured to centrally managed, you often need to physically reset the EAP (paperclip) and then re-configure in SDN.  Not a big deal, but this can take some time as you're learning to navigate the new SDN UI which has a lot of extra bits to wade through (which aren't relevent to EAPS's).

-Jonathan

Options