Mesh connection configuration questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-27 03:20:16 - last edited 2020-09-27 16:56:16
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello guys,

I am using an EAP 225 right now and loving it's performance. I also am planning to purchase another one for mesh connection.

My questions:

* Can I have mesh setup without using the Omada controller?

* If I use the Omada controller just to setup the mesh then turn it off completely. Will there be any consequences?

* As EAP 225 is dual band, can i have it use the 5ghz frequency for the mesh connection or it chooses automatically between 2.4 ghz & 5ghz?

Thanks in advance.. 😊

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mesh connection configuration questions-Solution
2020-09-27 07:39:05 - last edited 2020-09-27 16:56:16

totin1227 wrote

1. Can I have mesh setup without using the Omada controller?

2. If I use the Omada controller just to setup the mesh then turn it off completely. Will there be any consequences?

3. As EAP 225 is dual band, can i have it use the 5ghz frequency for the mesh connection or it chooses automatically between 2.4 ghz & 5ghz?

1. No. A mesh network needs to be configured using the controller which oversees the topology of the mesh.

2. Yes and yes. You can set up a mesh network and then shut down the controller. The consequence is that the mesh will not be re-configured automatically if a node fails (not relevant if you use only two EAPs).

3. A mesh always uses the 5 GHz band for links between nodes. It could not work over 2.4 GHz since the bandwidth in the latter is much smaller than in the 5 GHz band.

Further notes:

• To work reliably, a mesh node needs a free line of sight to the uplink node.
  • A mesh will reduce data bandwidth for 5 GHz clients by roughly ½ per mesh node (data sent from a client must be sent to the uplink node).
  • A mesh will not increase total user capacity; the capacity of all mesh nodes linked to a root node together is the same as the capacity of only one EAP.

You can find more information in the mesh FAQ here.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Mesh connection configuration questions-Solution
2020-09-27 07:39:05 - last edited 2020-09-27 16:56:16

totin1227 wrote

1. Can I have mesh setup without using the Omada controller?

2. If I use the Omada controller just to setup the mesh then turn it off completely. Will there be any consequences?

3. As EAP 225 is dual band, can i have it use the 5ghz frequency for the mesh connection or it chooses automatically between 2.4 ghz & 5ghz?

1. No. A mesh network needs to be configured using the controller which oversees the topology of the mesh.

2. Yes and yes. You can set up a mesh network and then shut down the controller. The consequence is that the mesh will not be re-configured automatically if a node fails (not relevant if you use only two EAPs).

3. A mesh always uses the 5 GHz band for links between nodes. It could not work over 2.4 GHz since the bandwidth in the latter is much smaller than in the 5 GHz band.

Further notes:

• To work reliably, a mesh node needs a free line of sight to the uplink node.
  • A mesh will reduce data bandwidth for 5 GHz clients by roughly ½ per mesh node (data sent from a client must be sent to the uplink node).
  • A mesh will not increase total user capacity; the capacity of all mesh nodes linked to a root node together is the same as the capacity of only one EAP.

You can find more information in the mesh FAQ here.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Mesh connection configuration questions
2020-09-27 15:46:38

Hi @totin1227,

I have an EAP225-Out Door that is connected via wireless MESH to my indoor EAP225V3.  I get roughly 120-150 Mbit/sec on my iPhone XSM on the 5.8GHz channel through the Outdoor MESH'ed unit when I'm in the back yard.  So that will give you some perspective. 

It works well and provides good, reliable coverage for my back yard albeit at roughly half (a little less) than the speeds I see from my hardwired EAP's indoors.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-09-27 16:55:13

@R1D2

Whoa, i didn't expect that i would receive such a detailed response from you 😅

Thank you very much and you got my mind cleared of thinking of the possibilities in adding another EAP 225 for mesh.

Options
2020-09-27 17:01:16 - last edited 2020-09-27 17:05:25

@JSchnee21 

How kind of you to share your experience with the EAP 225. I have gained further knowledge of the AP i have with the experience you provided. Thank you very much 😊

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1195

Replies: 4

Related Articles