WIfi access point questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-01 20:38:01 - last edited 2020-10-01 20:40:12

I am currently a member of the Abandoned By Ubiquiti club. I spent the last 2 years replacing all of my network with a Ubiquiti router and several wifi access points. Only to find out that all of the access points I recently purchased are now in LTS, which should be STS because it only lasts for a year. Then I will no longer be able to configure my devices. Being a programmer myself, I understand things have to change. But I would never dream of telling someone that a product they purchased from me would just stop working when it had nothing wrong with it. I can't even add new products to the system to slowly integrate them in because I can't reconfigure anything. Once the switch is flipped all I can do is use it or replace it all at once. What makes it even worse is that 6 months from EOL these products are still being sold. Luckily I found this out before I replaced all of my switches too.

How does TP-Link handle EOL?

I work in a large manufacturing facility with a lot of open floor space and a few closed offices. I need a mesh network that allows me to roam without losing connection. Which wifi access points should I look at to avoid having to replace them again in 2 years?

Thanks,

Jeff

Options
3 Reply
Re:WIfi access point questions
2020-10-02 14:54:37

@jrowe Also looking around. I have not abandoned Unifi, but it does seem their pricing is starting to creep up. I was digging into the a little more of the EOL items and it sounds like if you upgrade the controller and the AP gets dropped because of EOL, it will still function with the last config sent to it. I completely agree however that the AP's should still be seen in the controller and configurable. I may need to adjust the VLANS or SSID's. If I can do that and forget about firmware. that give me a little more time. I hope TP Link looks at what Ubiquiti is doing and make adjustments as needed. They could give small business/home office a run if they want.

Options
2020-10-02 15:03:19 - last edited 2020-10-02 15:05:43

Yes totally agree on all of this.  Been with Unifi for over 15 years and the last 2 years have totally went downhill fast!!!!!  Selling hardware now with NO QC at all?  Selling hardware with beta fw on it??????  NO communications at all?????  Why would anyone want to buy from this company??????  It just keeps getting worse every day....

I have been testing different brands for months now....but NONE yet has caught my attention 100% yet?  If a company could come strong on making great network hardware again, great support.... they will make millions of $$$$$$$$$$'s for sure right now!!

Options
2020-10-02 15:16:48 - last edited 2020-10-02 15:24:19

@Merryworks Yeah I am aware that they will still function. The reason why I will never buy another product from them is because they are locking me out of the configuration. My only choice is to never upgrade or totally replace my whole system in one shot. The never upgrade option is a ticking time bomb. It will only last as long as nothing has to be reconfigured or until the cloud controller dies. Once that happens then the whole system is down and can't be reinstalled. As long as my device physically works I should be able to use it to the level at which I paid for when I purchased it.That includes reinstalling it on a new system if needed. As stated, this all is made much worse by the fact that these products are still being sold. I am upset at only getting 2 years out of them before they kick me to the curb. I would be absolutely livid if I only got 6 months like some poor unfortunate sole that just purchased them. The last few years they have been doing things that just aren't comforting.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 755

Replies: 3

Related Articles