TL-SG1016PE Dropping Internet Daily

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-06 01:37:22
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20190118 Rel.32996

Hi,

Recently purchased this switch and I've been losing the internet on all 3 APs at least once a day. This is the general setup.

Xfinity > Motorola SB6141 > Edgerouter ER-X > TL-SG1016PE > Unifi AP AC LR x3

Firmware on the switch is 1.0.1 Build 20190118 Rel.32996 which appears to be the latest. Is there a setting in the switch that I should be adjusting? Not sure what the troubleshooting journey is here.

1 of the APs is adopted in the Windows 10-hosted Network Controller, because my Android App wouldn't work. The other 2 were successfully adopted using UniFi Network app.

Thanks!

Options
10 Reply
Re:TL-SG1016PE Dropping Internet Daily
2020-10-07 15:05:58

Dear @SwitchMan,

Recently purchased this switch and I've been losing the internet on all 3 APs at least once a day. This is the general setup.

Xfinity > Motorola SB6141 > Edgerouter ER-X > TL-SG1016PE > Unifi AP AC LR x3

Are you using the TL-SG1016PE to power up the Unifi APs? What's the LED status on the TL-SG1016PE switch when the internet drops? How do you recover the Internet connection when the issue happens? If possible, could you please hardwire the PC to the SG1016PE switch and check whether the PC would have the dropping issue or not?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-10-07 15:12:18 - last edited 2020-10-07 15:12:57

@Fae all 3 PAs are powered POE directly by the switch, the power indicator is solid (no faults) and the activity indicator blinks as expected. I haven't noticed the indicators for activity when internet drops, but on power they remain solid. I recovered by power cycling either the router or router and modem. But left the switch as-is.

My router has DHCP enabled and the switch did too. So one change I made to the switch is to disable DHCP on the off-chance that it was randomly creating a conflict.

Options
2020-10-08 03:41:23 - last edited 2020-10-08 03:42:51

Dear @SwitchMan,

I recovered by power cycling either the router or router and modem. But left the switch as-is.

The issue may not be caused by the switch. Please kindly ensure the front router/modem (Edgerouter ER-X) is working steadily, you may hardwire a PC or other wired devices to the front router to check it. If your Unifi APs support other power supply method, try it and check if the drop issue still exists after they bypass the SG1016PE switch.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-28 15:01:42

@Fae 

Did you solve this issue? as I am encountering the same problem.

Options
2021-01-26 12:03:35

@SwitchMan 

Hi I am having the same issue, I thought the issue might have been with the Unifi Ap, so I got me the TP-Link EAP225, replaced the AP but still having the same issue. I Have a smart TV hard wired to the switch and that seems to be stable never had an issue with streaming or dropping of connection. I also have a cloud controller connected directly to the switch and powered via POE, and even that seem to be working just fine, when the connection is lost on the AP i can still log into the cloud controller without any issues.

Options
2021-01-27 06:00:04

Dear @Zaahid247,

Hi I am having the same issue, I thought the issue might have been with the Unifi Ap, so I got me the TP-Link EAP225, replaced the AP but still having the same issue. I Have a smart TV hard wired to the switch and that seems to be stable never had an issue with streaming or dropping of connection. I also have a cloud controller connected directly to the switch and powered via POE, and even that seem to be working just fine, when the connection is lost on the AP i can still log into the cloud controller without any issues.

May I have the device information (includes the hardware and firmware) of your TL-SG1016PE and EAP225?

If smart TV hardwired to the switch doesn't have the dropping issue, the TL-SG1016PE switch should be working fine.

For the dropping issue on the AP, please confirm the cable connection to the switch works fine. If it's the AP that would drop the connection, it should be a different problem, please provide more details about the dropping issue. Besides, the AP won't affect the function of the cloud controller, even though there is no AP connected, we still can log into the cloud controller without issues.

Options
2021-01-27 10:44:00

@Fae 

Hi Fae thanks for the response, the access points are EAP 225 EU v3.0 Firmware 5.0.0 Build 20200918 Rel. 58628

My cloud controller cant find the switch even though its connected directly to it. With regards to the cables i thought it was that at first and had all the cables changed, then I thought maybe the AP as I was using the Unifi AC Lite, so I had that changed to the TP-Link, but I cant seem to find any solution the next option is the switch, and finding other people on the forum with the same issue leads me to believe that is where the issue lies, my previous switch which was a Ubuiquiti tough switch gave me no such issues, it was unfortunately stuck by lightning so I had to replace it, Ive checked with the company that I purchased the TL-SG1016PE they would need to take it in for testing, I am getting another switch to loan out hopefully if that works I can then pin point the issue.

Options
2021-01-28 02:53:31

Dear @Zaahid247,

My cloud controller cant find the switch even though its connected directly to it. 

Kind note that the Omada Controller cannot manage the TL-SG1016PE switch since they are not compatible.

But the Omada Controller should be able to find and manage the EAP225 as long as they are connected in the same LAN network.

Ive checked with the company that I purchased the TL-SG1016PE they would need to take it in for testing, I am getting another switch to loan out hopefully if that works I can then pin point the issue.

Thank you for sharing the info, welcome to get back to update the issue if your concern could be resolved. Cheers!

Options
2021-03-10 20:08:58

@SwitchMan 

unfortunatelly i have similar problem with this switch.

i have connected to this switch 7 AP EAP-235 Wall by PoE. 8 PoE Port for Omada OC200 controller.

So internet work unstable or completelly unavailable. Restart only helps to fix the problem till next time. It's very frustrating since it all installed in the house of my good client.

Omada controller also not working properly, since often i see that no connection with controller. in the beggining i thought that problem with Omada, but now i understand that problem is the switch.

i have installed all newest firmawes where it only possible. So this is not a problem. Any suggestions, solutions? Thank you in advance!

Options
2021-03-18 10:07:40

i suppose firmware update can fix this problem. i tried reset switch, no luck - same dropping internet time to time, but this very frustrating. only reboot helps for sometime

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1702

Replies: 10