Upgrade EAP using Omada Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-12 13:29:37
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the EAPs using the Omada Controller? Can't find anything obvious and the TP-Link support site is no help.

The only way I can figure out is to unmanage the EAP one by one and upgrade using the EAP web interface. That obviously will not work when you have more than a few to upgrade.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Upgrade EAP using Omada Controller
2020-10-13 10:18:33

@EapNinja,

ehm, first option:

Second option:

Please RTFM!

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-14 22:32:41

Hi @EapNinja & @R1D2 

So I recently ran into a similar issue.  The new EAP2245's I purchased came pre-loaded with Pre-SDN software.  But my OC-200 is already SDN.  As such I could not adopt them.  This seemed strange to me, because I thought that I had previously/originally adopted my EAP225's before upgrading their firmwares.

I findled with this for quite a while, not knowing if it was a failure or lease an IP address as others had reported, issues supplying the correct admin password or what.

Finally, I ended up connecting to the Web management interface of each, setting the correct (custom) admin username/password, and upgrading the firmware prior to adoption.  Then all was well.

I had to do this for the managed switch I just got as well.

Maybe I'm not doing something in the right order?  Hopefully as newer product rolls out it will come pre-loaded with SDN compatible firmware.  But ideally the SDN would "recognize" a new unconfigured or unmanaged device/AP.  And guide you through the necessary steps to on board it:

1) change password from default

2) upgraded to supported firmware

3) adopt and provision, etc.

The switch had a static management IP out of the box (I assume for security) so I had to change the IP of my laptop and connect to it directly to kick off the onboarding process.  Not a big deal (since I only had a few devices and know how to troubleshoot) but these types of issues rapidly become a non-started for less experienced customers -- or more experienced customers with lots of devices to deploy.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-14 22:52:22 - last edited 2020-10-14 23:03:22

Hello JSchnee21,

it almost certainly was the device password which prevented adoption of the EAP245 with pre-SDN firmware if credentials have been changed through the EAP's web UI. I could flawlessly adopt my EAP245 with pre-SDN firmware in OC200 SDN controller.

In my test setups I always reset the device password to admin/admin after setting up Omada Controller. It is annoying to enter an auto-generated device password every time an EAP is reset to factory defaults and being re-adopted, which happens very often when testing.

But IIRC the SDN controller should try both, the standard credentials and the device password.

For customer setups I use stronger credentials and enter them manually when retrying the adoption process of new devices after it did fail.

We don't (yet) have a SDN controller in the field, so this might apply to older controller versions only.

Options
2020-10-14 23:25:45 - last edited 2020-10-14 23:42:49

@R1D2 Thank for the reply. However my Omada controller interface looks completely different than yours. I am using the version 4.1.5 of the software Omada controller

Mine doesn't have any of those tabs/icons you were referring to unfortunately....

Anyway I figured it out after a while... The option is hidden here:

What an interesting GUI design choice. The pane is expanded by default so when you click on 'Config' this is exactly what you see. To perform the upgrade you have to realize that there are a bunch of other options hidden beneath. Mind you on my monitor there are tons of space below the two buttons but everything is hidden until you on the double arrow.

Options
2020-10-14 23:36:06 - last edited 2020-10-14 23:42:52

@JSchnee21, I just tried again with a spare EAP225 and OC200.

Downgraded to pre-SDN firmware, reloaded factory defaults, EAP is shown as »Pending« in SDN Controller:

Device password is different from standard credentials. Adoption worked just fine, this means SDN Controller first tries default credentials admin/admin:

Now upgraded the EAP to SDN firmware. Device password has been set already in the EAP and SDN Controller uses this credentials for provisioning/configuring. No adoption needed:

Note that I always download firmware files from the support website even when using online upgrades. For each model I have I keep the last three or four firmware versions. This has always proved its worth in the past.

Options
2020-10-14 23:41:03 - last edited 2020-10-14 23:46:27

Hi EapNinja,

you didn't specify HW/SW versions in your first post and did post in the Business WiFi forum, so I guessed you are referring to the old Omada Controller. For the SDN Controller there is an own subforum.

But you can find the same settings in SDN Controller, too:

Options