I’m using FIOS wireless internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-14 21:12:38
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm interested in really extending my Wireless outside my home using my current Verizon Fios internet connection. Is there a way to use either the Ethernet cable to extend my current internet or use the wireless feature to do it?

Options
4 Reply
Re:I’m using FIOS wireless internet
2020-10-14 21:52:24

Hi @ChrisK619,

Welcome!  I also have FIOS.  There are a couple different ways to go about this.  I have gigabit FIOS, and an older G1100 router.  I personally chose to upgrade all of my homes internal and external wifi by disabling the Wifi on the FIOS router, and using TP-Link Access Points instead.

I have two EAP245V3's (recently upgraded from EAP225V3's), two EAP225-Outdoor, a new managed switch, and an OC-200.

But, you can get started by just buying one EAP225-Outdoor.  Run an ethernet cable from it to your existing FIOS router, and the use the Web management page or the mobile App to set the Outdoor AP to use the same SSID and password as your FIOS router wifi network.  This is called basis roaming.  While you are at it, I would also disable band steering on your FIOS router (Verizon calls this SON for some reason).  This way you can set separate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz radios.

I generally keep my slower stuff / home automation IoT on the 2.4, and put my phones, laptops, and tablets on the 5.8GHz.  I use MOCA (Actiontec 2.5 Bonded) or Ethernet for my entertainment centers and PC's/Workstations to help keep most of this traffic off of the WIfi.

That said, i have about 45 wireless clients on my setup at any given time, and eveyrthing works great.  I usually see 200-500 Mbit/sec DL & UL throughout the house.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-14 21:56:41

@JSchnee21 thank you for responding.  I have 2 EAP225 outdoor units doing nothing in my drawer since I got them. 

wirking in it tomorrow!

chris K

Options
2020-10-14 21:57:27

@ChrisK619 

I should also mention that the EAP225-Outdoor is waterproof.  But, the PoE injector is not.  Mine are still outside though, in bags/protected from the elements.  But this is not recommended, per se.

You can run up to ~300 feet Cat6 ethernet from your router to the EAP (less is better).  But the PoE will only go about 150 feet.

Be sure to set your Wifi radios to different channels so they don't interfere with yourself and your neighbors (1,6, or 11) for 2.4 20MHz, and 36 or 149 for 5.8GHz 80MHz.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-14 23:07:06 - last edited 2020-10-14 23:09:45

Cool!

Yes, the performance of the Outdoor units is quite good when connected via Ethernet.  Mine is Mesh to an EAP225 (now 245) so perfomance is slower -- but I get great coverage in my back yard.

I have a second unit I'm planning on deploying the front yard, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I keep forgetting to say, the Outdoor EAP is water proof -- ONLY when mounted right side up.  In my experience, I get maximal range/performance with the antennas in V-formation and the EAP mounted at roughly 6 feet off the ground.  

My yard is not the big (100' x 100') with the house in the middle.  The one EAP does / would reach the front yard, but the house blocks most of the signal.

If you are looking for farther range, you may want both antennas vertical and the EAP mounted up higher.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 971

Replies: 4