EAP 245v3 Radiation pattern (vertical mount)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-16 15:40:40
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.21.0 Build 20200522 Rel. 49688

So, this is not the typical "radiation pattern" question.  I know that has been answered.  This is a north/south radiation question.

So, on an EAP 245v3 (or any of the EAP series), does anyone know what the pattern above the antenna is (ceiling mount) ?  Many have eluded to this.  I have an AP mounted in my garage (pointed down into the garage) but my kids rooms are right above and they keep getting signal from that AP (even though there is another on the second floor that is probably a better choice).

With Cisco AP's, the radiation pattern is like a shield (or a heart).  There is a small amount that radiates up about 1 - 3 feet (but a plate blocks the part directly above the AP).  Then the downward portion is designed to go 15 - 18 ft down coming to a rounded point, thus making a shield (or heartshaped) radiation pattern.

Does anyone know how far the pattern protudes from the backside of the EAP series?  I know it's 3 or 4 feet from the AP's location to the kids' room.  The reason I ask is, if I can mount the AP on the ceiling of the garage, and it shoots up 8 - 10 feet, I can move the 2nd floor AP to another room.  

I have a "work provided" Ekahau side kick, which will tell me...but I didn't want to reconfigure my network if someone already has the data on north/south (up/down) radiation paterns on these things.  If I get no reply for a bit, I guess I'll try the side kick and or a Cisco AP in Spectrum analyzer mode at different heights and distants.  I'll try to remember to post the results I get.

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP 245v3 Radiation pattern (vertical mount)
2020-10-19 22:29:46

Welcome @carvwa,

Page 21:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202010/20201019/EAP%20Datasheet.pdf
Note that the diagrams are shown with the EAP's facing up for some reason.  In your case, for a normal ceiling mount, you'll need to flip these over (aka rotate CW 180 degrees).

The upward radiation pattern (if ceiling mounted) is pretty significant.  And since the EAP and mounting bracket are all plastic, there isn't much in the way of shielding -- mainly just the PCB board.

If the 2nd floor EAP is in the kids room above (or nearly so) it will probably hit the garage just fine (mine does).  I live in a bi-level / raised range (long skinny rectangle) approx 2200 sq feet.  I have two indoor EAP, one at each end of the house.  One on the first floor sitting on a table pointed up.  And one on the second floor ceiling mounted pointing down.  I have great coverage throughout.  Signal penetration, even of 5.8GHz, through the floors/ceilings is very good -- in my house at least.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-10-21 09:17:50

@JSchnee21 

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for.  

That is very significant, wow.  The Cisco AP's a) have metal shielding b) much less upward reflection. (Surely both are by design)

Maybe I'll DC the upstairs one and see how strong of a signal I get.  That should be an easy test.

Options
2020-10-21 14:23:57

Great!

Ha Ha, I've seen a lot of plastic devices with a big piece of roughly punched, unfinished steel inside pesumbly just to add weight / heft to make it "feel" more like a premium product!

Often in commercial settings (office buildings, labs, schools, etc.) floors are concrete and/or steel so radiation from floor to floor is often very limted / non-existent regardless.  But in residential construction floors/ceilings may be as little as a sheet of CDX/plywood and two sheets of sheetrock (three if its a garage).

Unless you live in an older home with plaster walls. The supporting mesh under the plaster often makes a very good RF screen / Farraday-like attenuator,

-Jonathan

Options
2022-02-27 01:17:50 - last edited 2022-02-27 01:20:24

@JSchnee21 

Awe...man!   I had forgotten I asked that question then refound someone asking a question just like my own situation!   Then I looked at the poster...it was my own question!

Anyway.    I think I am going to try you're wire mesh idea.   I purchased some wire mesh for reloading stuff a while back and have a ton of "ap" sized sheets left over.   I'll try to report back my finding (though it might be two more years and I might forget I was the original poster.)    😝

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2971

Replies: 4

Related Articles