WiFi issues EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WiFi issues EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WiFi issues EAP
WiFi issues EAP
2020-10-18 03:20:19
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently replaced consumer grade APs with two EAP225 Outdoor and one 225 ceimung

wifi sweet spots says speed is great. But I'm having issues where WiFi calling and loading webpages is not working or really slow. 
what would make my signal/speed great but it actually has a lot of issues?

These are used in a home where there aren't a ton of WiFi clients and the channels being used are the same as previous APs. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi issues EAP
2020-10-19 21:55:59

Welcome @Shaneb0422,

I'm not sure what you mean by "one 225 ceimung"  Is this an EAP225V3 indoor unit?  How are the EAP's connected? Ethernet?  Are you using the Omada/SDN software for configuration?  What speed is your broadband connection?

My experience with Wifi Sweet Spot is that it is not a true test of your network/internet connectivity.  It tends to give a good impression of the air link and reports connections speeds close to if not equal to the actually negotiated link speed.

In the United States, I'd recommend comparing the performance of SpeedSmart.net, Ookla SpeedTest, and Fast.com.  But these are only helpful if your broadband is faster than your Wifi (I have gigabit FIOS).  I had been running 2xEAP225V3, 2xEAP225-OD, and 1xOC200.  But I recently upgraded my 225V3's to 245V3's.

Anyway, if your broadband isn't fast enough, iPerf is the better choice -- you'll need to run both a "server" (from an ethernet connected PC) and the "client" versions from your mobile.

A few things to check:

1) verify you have good, reliable Ethernet cables and connections.  Are you using the PoE injectors as well?

2) Disable Airtime fairness (should be off by default)

3) Disable Band Steering (on by default) and use separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5.8.  Join your newer faster devices to the 5.8 only.  Older slower devices to 2.4

4) Change power to Custom and start with 18-20 dBM for both radios on all EAP's.  From there you may need to increase the 5.8 a little and decrease the 2.4 a little.

5) use a separate channel for each EAP / radio.  20MHz for 2.4, channels 1, 6, and 11.  80MHz (or 20/40/80) for 5.8 using channels 36 and 149 (in the USA).

6) If you're using Omada/SDN (it's free) turn Fast Roaming on, and MESH off (unless you have a wirelessly connected AP).

I've had rock solid performance with my setup for Wifi calling, Zoom, Teams, Facetime, etc. not to mention multiple 4k streams (simultaneously).  I have ~44 wifi clients at any given time which are usually spread between my two indoor EAP's.

On the EAP225's I used to get ~350-450 Mbit  DL & UL (UL was often better).  On the 245's it's more like ~450-550 Mbit DL & UL.  These are real internet speed tests.  iPerf is about 20% higher.

-Jonathan

Options
Re:WiFi issues EAP
2020-10-19 21:57:29
Also do make sure your firmwares are up to date. Note that there are different firmware series for Omada vs. SDN so be cognization of which you are using. Stand along management from each EAP's web UI is also a possibility, but you won't get Fast Roam (Basic roaming only) or MESH that way.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 697

Replies: 2

Related Articles