Will the system work without Internet connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-03 05:26:13 - last edited 2020-11-04 09:36:59
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi guys,

I have tried to search for the answer in the forums, but apparently my searching-the-forum-skills are not strong enough wink

Will the Omada Controller eco-system require constant access to the Internet to function? Imagine a network that will have no direct Internet access - will the Omada SDN system work fully then?

I get that any any firmware updates to the controller or any switches or AP's adopted to the controller will not be able to be downloaded automatic directly from the internet. But will it be possible to "manually" update the Omada Controller as well as add updated firmware for switches and AP's using files downloaded outside the network?

ALso I dont fully understand the difference between the software controller (either installed on a computer or using the OC200) and the cloud controller. Can someone explain that? Will the cloud controller take over the local software controller at some point making my original question mood in the process?

Stay safe everyone and with kind regards,

Henrik

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Will the system work without Internet connectivity-Solution
2020-11-03 21:51:40 - last edited 2020-11-04 09:36:59

@Henrik_TP 

The Omada controller does not need internet access exept for updates to itself, the FW of the controller or APs or if you want to link it to the cloud so you can manage your network infrastructure from anywhere.

Software vs hardware as far as i know is just a preference, some people like a physical hardware to manage their systems, others prefer a VM or host they already have.

I personally run the SDN controller on Debian on a VM.

I dont believe the cloud controller will replace the local version, it's simply an option - think about people who only need APs for Wi-Fi access but everything else they use is cloud based, technically they can manage their APs remotely without the need for physical kit in the main building

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Will the system work without Internet connectivity-Solution
2020-11-03 21:51:40 - last edited 2020-11-04 09:36:59

@Henrik_TP 

The Omada controller does not need internet access exept for updates to itself, the FW of the controller or APs or if you want to link it to the cloud so you can manage your network infrastructure from anywhere.

Software vs hardware as far as i know is just a preference, some people like a physical hardware to manage their systems, others prefer a VM or host they already have.

I personally run the SDN controller on Debian on a VM.

I dont believe the cloud controller will replace the local version, it's simply an option - think about people who only need APs for Wi-Fi access but everything else they use is cloud based, technically they can manage their APs remotely without the need for physical kit in the main building

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Will the system work without Internet connectivity
2020-11-04 05:54:14

@Rod-IT Thanks for your reply. smiley

The question is still: Is it possible to "manually" upload new firmware to the controller (for both itself as well as switches and AP's) so it can use that for updates even though it will not have internet access itself. Like if you download the needed updates on a laptop connected to the internet and then log on to the management webpage and upload the firmware to the controller?

Options
2020-11-04 09:25:31

@Henrik_TP 

FW updates was not your original question, but yes, you can manually upload FW files, simply select the device you want, click manage device option then upload your file.

Options
2020-11-04 09:35:05

@Rod-IT Thanks for your answer.

Well - in my original post I did ask "But will it be possible to "manually" update the Omada Controller as well as add updated firmware for switches and AP's using files downloaded outside the network?"

I might not have been clear - English is not my native tongue - but my intention with the question you just managed to answer nevertheless. So thanks again smiley

Kind regards

Options
2020-11-04 10:14:23
Apologies - you did ask, i missed it in the first post.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2526

Replies: 5