Manually setting radio mode on EAP225

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-03 17:50:14
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Where does one go and set the modes in the controller software? I don't see it under Config -> Radio. I'd like to do n/ac only or perhaps ac only. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Manually setting radio mode on EAP225
2020-11-04 17:21:10

Welcome @BubbaW

Hmmm, good question.  I just took a look myself.  I recall exactly where it was in the older Omada management software (and the WebUI for un-managed).  But I'm not seeing it in the new SDN interface.

The current version of the SDN is the original release.  I've heard there's a new version that should be coming -- hopefully soon -- which will fix a lot of the early bugs.  But I know some folks here on the board have been Beta testing it for a while now.

No idea if it will expose more detailed settings.

I recently deployed an SDN managed switch, and while I like having the data integrated into a single dashboard, the SDN interface completely neutered its functionality.  I wish there was a way to support both options.

Something like: Read only management in SDN, and full local admin.  Or admin in both (with SDN winning)

That said, in terms of Wifi performance, I'm not sure those settings really have a significant effect.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-05 09:04:10 - last edited 2020-11-05 09:05:17

BubbaW wrote

Where does one go and set the modes in the controller software?

It has been replaced by much finer control under advanced features »802.11 Rate Control«.

The image below shows the controls for the 2.4 GHz radio. There are similar controls for the 5 GHz radio:

I'd like to do n/ac only or perhaps ac only.

Don't do this if there are other (foreign) networks around yours. Disabling 802.11a will cause the AP to unset certain compatibility bits in 802.11n mode which might confuse other 5 GHz wireless networks still using 802.11a mode by falsely recognizing a radar detection pattern on a DFS channel.

What's more, certain CSMA/CA techniques of your AP won't work anymore if you turn off 802.11a and 802.11n while other networks around still use those modes. Your AP could not detect if another AP using 802.11a mode did acquire a shared channel.

Leaving 802.11a mode enabled does not degrade performance if you don't have 802.11a devices connecting to it. If you have such devices, it should be left enabled anyway.

If your network is the only one around (e.g. in a rural area), then disabling older modes can improve things a little bit, but not much.

A much better way then turning off those modes completely is to increase the lower rate limit for clients and for the beacon like it can be done in SDN Controller. This way, older clients can't connect, but the WiFi mode compatibility settings are still in effect.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-11-06 14:38:12

R1D2 wrote

A much better way then turning off those modes completely is to increase the lower rate limit for clients and for the beacon like it can be done in SDN Controller. This way, older clients can't connect, but the WiFi mode compatibility settings are still in effect.

@R1D2 

How it can be achieved ?

I thought it all use the slide range to set it. 

Thanks

Options
2020-11-08 03:24:30

@R1D2 gotcha. Thanks for pointing this out. If I want to save 5ghz for AC clients, I sssume I'd bump the 5ghz minimum to be like 54mb? I'm not sure what the other settings like send beacon at 1Mb or the CCK settings. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1012

Replies: 4