Use a port on each switch as "passthru" without contact with the network on the other ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Use a port on each switch as "passthru" without contact with the network on the other ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-04 10:34:21
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hey guys!

I'm a bit stumped here...

I have 2 switches, one in each floor of the house. (TL-SG108E)

In the basement, I have 2 "routers" - one for internet, one for TV. The problem is that I only have 1 cable running between the floors. So, what I'm trying to achieve is:

The switches are connected via port 1 on both swithces.

Having all computers, access-point etc. connected to the switch on the 1st floor, ports 2-7. The TV-decoder is connected to port 8.

In the basement, the switch is connected to the internet router, misc. computers, printers etc. on ports 2-7 as well, and port 8 is supposed to go into the TV router (a separate box).

Now, here's my challenge - how do I (if it's possible) configure the switches so that port 8 on both of them are totally separated from the rest of the ports, so I can connect the TV-decoder to the TV-router using port 8 on both switches? Port 8 can not talk to the other ports or anything connected to these in any way, has to be totally separated. Sort of a substitute for running a second cable between the floors so the TV-decoder can be plugged into the TV-router.

Is this at all possible using VLAN? 

Much appreciated - thanks!

Options
9 Reply
Re:Use a port on each switch as "passthru" without contact with the network on the other ports
2020-11-06 02:56:15

Dear @PepsiMax,

how do I (if it's possible) configure the switches so that port 8 on both of them are totally separated from the rest of the ports, so I can connect the TV-decoder to the TV-router using port 8 on both switches? Port 8 can not talk to the other ports or anything connected to these in any way, has to be totally separated. Sort of a substitute for running a second cable between the floors so the TV-decoder can be plugged into the TV-router.

Please refer to the configuration example below to configure it.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/788/

Note: follow Example 2 from the guide above.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Use a port on each switch as "passthru" without contact with the network on the other ports
2020-11-06 07:58:51

@Fae: Thanks for your reply!

I tried that - unfortunately it didn't work, that is what stumps me :-) I tried both port based VLAN and 802.1Q.

With port based, the decoder wasn't able to connect at all (connection-indicator on decoder stayed red)

With 802.1Q, i first tried adding port 8 on both switches to VLAN101. I then got a TV-signal stream thru, but no pure data (decoder uses this to get stored content). I suspect this is because it was still on VLAN1 where there also is a Nest router, so it picks up the IP address from that. This is sort of what I would have expected.

I then tried removing port 8 from VLAN1 altogether, only keeping it on 101, but then the TV-signal stream also dropped out. This is the configuration that - in my head - should have worked.

Options
2020-11-07 12:12:03 - last edited 2020-11-07 12:12:33

Dear @PepsiMax,

With 802.1Q, i first tried adding port 8 on both switches to VLAN101. I then got a TV-signal stream thru, but no pure data (decoder uses this to get stored content). I suspect this is because it was still on VLAN1 where there also is a Nest router, so it picks up the IP address from that. This is sort of what I would have expected.

Do you add the port 1 on both switches to VLAN101?

So Port 1 and Port 8 on both switches are added to VLAN101, Port 1 tagged, Port 8 untagged.

The PVID of Port 8 on both switches are set to 101, leave the PVID of other ports as default 1.

Remove Port 8 from VLAN1 on both switches. Save and done.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-09 09:53:37

@Fae Hello again, and thank you for your reply!

No, port 1 is not in VLAN101, as only port 8 on both switches are connected to decoder and router respectively.

Yes, like I mentioned in my previous post, I tried removing port 8 from VLAN101 on both switches, that's when everything went totally black, not even the tv-stream any longer.

Or am I misunderstanding you here?

Options
2020-11-09 17:03:59

@PepsiMax If I am picturing things in my brain correctly, the trick like @Fae said is because port 1 need to essentially be a truck port to allow everything thorugh.

Options
2020-11-09 18:09:01

@Merryworks Thank you kindly for chipping in :-)

Ok, so here are the settings on both switches now:

https://prnt.sc/vg94tc

https://prnt.sc/vg953v

No TV-stream, no data connection :-(

With these settings:

https://prnt.sc/vg98tk

I get image, but no data-connection:

https://prnt.sc/vg9jjx

surprise

Options
2020-11-09 18:23:03
Is all your data on VLAN 1?
Options
2020-11-09 19:51:29

@Merryworks All "normal" data, yes - but there's a separate data-stream for the TV-signal from the LAN-port on the router so this is where it needs to get the data from, totally separate.

(The decoder is supposed to be connected directly into that LAN-port on the router, which works - so this is what I'm trying to achieve, just that it has to go thru the same switch-cable-switch as the other "normal" network devices.) Port 8 from the one switch is connected to this LAN-port.

Options
2020-11-10 13:40:11

@PepsiMax Trying to work this out and may play with it some, but what if you tag port1 as 101 on switch 2?

Options