2x EAP AP, with or without controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-08 12:12:04 - last edited 2022-08-12 12:21:10
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I plan to install 2-3 EAP access points where I would like to have seamless roaming to cover a large area.

Do I then need the controller, or can I config the EAP AP's to the same SSID and it will work?

/Jesper

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:2x EAP AP, with or without controller?-Solution
2020-11-08 16:23:15 - last edited 2022-08-12 12:19:47

Welcome @jvels,

You can always do basic roaming without a controller/controller software by setting each AP radio to use the same SSID, encryption, and password.  Basic roaming works fine in most/all modern applications.  When a STA roams from one AP to another, with basic roaming, there is a small ~100ms-ish delay while the STA re-negotiates its encrypted link with the new AP.  Most modern stream apps are buffered anyway so you generally won't see a hiccup.  But some voice / VOIP / Wi-Fi calling applications may be more sensitive than others.

For Fast roaming (often called Seamless roaming in the EU/UK) -- aka 802.11 r, k, and v

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/fast-roaming-with-802-11k--802-11v--and-802-11r

A controller is necessary -- for example the Omada managemen software running on a PC (pre- or post SDN versions) or on a management appliance such as the OC-200 or OC-300.

I have 4 EAP's myself, for my home, and love the centralized configuration and monitoring capability that I get with the OC-200.  For me, for the $80 or so dollars the device cost on Amazon, I'd highly recommend it.  Of course the software is free.

Note that for Fast Roaming and dynamic wireless MESH reconfiguration (which I don't think you will be using since all of your AP's are Ethernet connected) the Omada controller software must be running (on a PC or OC-200) 24x7.

-Jonathan

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:2x EAP AP, with or without controller?-Solution
2020-11-08 16:23:15 - last edited 2022-08-12 12:19:47

Welcome @jvels,

You can always do basic roaming without a controller/controller software by setting each AP radio to use the same SSID, encryption, and password.  Basic roaming works fine in most/all modern applications.  When a STA roams from one AP to another, with basic roaming, there is a small ~100ms-ish delay while the STA re-negotiates its encrypted link with the new AP.  Most modern stream apps are buffered anyway so you generally won't see a hiccup.  But some voice / VOIP / Wi-Fi calling applications may be more sensitive than others.

For Fast roaming (often called Seamless roaming in the EU/UK) -- aka 802.11 r, k, and v

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/fast-roaming-with-802-11k--802-11v--and-802-11r

A controller is necessary -- for example the Omada managemen software running on a PC (pre- or post SDN versions) or on a management appliance such as the OC-200 or OC-300.

I have 4 EAP's myself, for my home, and love the centralized configuration and monitoring capability that I get with the OC-200.  For me, for the $80 or so dollars the device cost on Amazon, I'd highly recommend it.  Of course the software is free.

Note that for Fast Roaming and dynamic wireless MESH reconfiguration (which I don't think you will be using since all of your AP's are Ethernet connected) the Omada controller software must be running (on a PC or OC-200) 24x7.

-Jonathan

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:2x EAP AP, with or without controller?
2020-11-09 18:41:12

@JSchnee21 whyfor fast roaming you need a controller running? I have an oc200 but it was purchased for other reasons but i'm curious aboth the thing you say regarding fast roaming...i was thinking it was an hardware stuff. Can you explain that please.

thanks

Options
2020-11-09 19:17:07

I'm sure I'm going to murder a few of the technical details, but essentially the reason is this:

1) With normal, so called-basic roaming (multiple AP's all configured to use the same SSID, encryption, and password) the wireless client (STA) as the STA roams from AP to AP it must first break it's connection with the AP it is leaving and then re-associate with the new AP it is roaming to.  As it does this, the STA and AP must perform an association and encryption "handshake" every time the STA roams to a new AP.  During this "handshake" the STA and the AP exchange encryption keys (e.g for WPAx/AES-PSK) and this takes some time (~100ms).

2) There are three component technologies that fall under the "Fast Roaming" umbrella 802.11 k, r, and v

https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/HT202628

Essentially, these feaures require a management layer that sits "above" the AP's to centrally keep track of these details.  For TP-Link Business Class EAP's these functions are performed by Omada SW (installed on a PC or running on a OC-200).

In particular, it is 802.11r which enables STA's to quickly associatiate with the new AP it is roaming to, because, essentially, the device is already known to the management layer for a full reassociation/authentication is not needed.

Omada SW is also required to configure wireless MESH (for AP's not conncted by Ethernet) and to support ongoing dynamic MESH reconfiguration.

-Jonathan

Options
2021-11-03 13:52:10

@JSchnee21 

Just looking at this - I used to run Omada Controller 24/7 because I was using voucher security.

I've now turned off security... and assumed switching off the Omada Controller would make no difference.

Perhaps you could confirm it makes no difference or very little difference if there is no security?

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 14771

Replies: 4

Related Articles