EAP255(EU) WIFI intermittent Issue DHCP (connected, no internet)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 15:38:34
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.7.0 Build 20200113 Rel. 38287

Hi, 

I've been through the threads here and found quite a few relating to similar issues to what we have but can't seem to resolve ours. 

The situation is as follows. 

• 6 EAP all connected up through the Omada Controller. All visible and connected. (hard wired  around the building)
  • SSID is set up and no guest login using dual-band, password login. 
  • settings are now all pretty much turned off as per a lot of the suggestions
    • load balancing (OFF)
    • QoS (Only  Wi-Fi Multimedia(WMM) Is on:
    • airtime fairness (OFF)
    • band steering (OFF)
    • Mesh (On) 
    • fast roaming (OFF) 
    • IP Settings Fallback - (OFF) - tried turned on makes no difference
    • etc causing issues . 
  • DHCP is managed by our Draytek router.

Issues :
users after being connected for a couple of hours suddenly lose the internet while still being connected to the SSID with a message of (connected, no internet).

Whats strange is I can have multiple users on the same connection with no issues at all while others are frequently having issues. 

the fix to this issue ranges from

• reconnects 
  • network trouble shooting 
  • network rest & restart.

From monitoring this issue it looks like its dropped IP address. when this happens the adapter then has an issue finding a default gateway IP or having a new IP assigned.

One attempt to resolve this was to Bind the IP to mac for each of the  EAPs as well as some of the desktop/ laptop machines connected. but this still doesn't seem to fix the issue. 

I've even tried setting up 2 extra SSIDs one on 2.5GHz and the other for the 5GHz to see if its the channels causing issues but the same thing occurs. 

I'm now at a loss with a lot of angry staff who keep losing work due to this annoying issue? 

can anyone advise on how I can fix this or help with the set-up? 

Many thanks in advance

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP255(EU) WIFI intermittent Issue DHCP (connected, no internet)
2020-11-09 16:00:43

Welcome @FlexiTog,

Hmmm, that is strange.  I doubt it's an issue with the EAP's themselves.  Seems more like an issue with the DHCP server / router / switch / cabling / power supply.  Especially if all of the EAP's are displaying the same behavior.

Are there other DHCP clients which are using the same DHCP server / router / switch / cabling?  And are these fine?  Is your DHCP address pool large enough?  How frequently are leases expiring / being renewed?

Are you running Omada all the time?  Ideally you would be.  Are the EAP's loosing connectivity to Omada during this time?

Please describe some additional details:

1) how are the EAP's powered?

2) what security / encryption approach are you using?  PSK, Radius, other?

3) If all of your EAP's are Ethernet connected MESH can be off.  If you're running Omada all the time, Fast Roaming should be on.

4) Make sure firmware and Omada are up to date.

5) I'd recommend static IP's for the EAP's instead of DHCP -- though I use DHCP for mine and it's fine.

6) Are there specific device types that are losing connectivity more than others?

7) Are there specifc AP's that are more impacted then others?

8) Are you using DFS channels?

9) Is this a new setup?  Or did you recently replace the AP's, or other components?

-Jonathan

Options
Re:EAP255(EU) WIFI intermittent Issue DHCP (connected, no internet)
2020-11-09 17:21:32

@JSchnee21 

Hi Jonathan, 

Thanks for your quick response. 

In answer to your question.

1) how are the EAP's powered?

POE using a Netgear GS748TP should have ample amount of power of 802.3 

2) what security / encryption approach are you using?  PSK, Radius, other?

just the default settings  WPA-PSK 

3) If all of your EAP's are Ethernet connected MESH can be off.  If you're running Omada all the time, Fast Roaming should be on.

OK will adjust this and see what happens

4) Make sure firmware and Omada are up to date.

Yep ran this and have systematically checked that it's the latest version

5) I'd recommend static IP's for the EAP's instead of DHCP -- though I use DHCP for mine and it's fine. 

On the LAN I have set-up the AP to bind IP to MAC so these should effectively be static.  but 'm new to network set-ups / config 

so am a bit unsure what i should be setting the static IP, sub mask and gateway to? we have a leased line.

6) Are there specific device types that are losing connectivity more than others?

Mainly laptops - running windows (but not all laptops running windows!!?) 

7) Are there specifc AP's that are more impacted then others?

Its hard to say as people tend to desk-hop a lot and be in different parts of the office. but i know the one in the main upstairs office people who don't move about still have internet connection suddenly stop.. 

8) Are you using DFS channels?

no

9) Is this a new setup?  Or did you recently replace the AP's, or other components?

Relatively new as we had 2 TP-link AP's set-up in the warehouse and these worked fine, so decided to upgrade the others in the upstairs office and control them all through the Omada controller. 

since then the issues seem to have cropped up.

Regarding other settings. 

Router is a Draytek vigor2862

DHCP pool - was 154 ( should be ample for our staff ) but increased to 500 to test. 

Lease time - 259200

Omada is always running

Wiring should be all fine and switches have all previously been without issue. 

I was wondering about the fallback IP on each AP that gets assigned by default. as i  notice this just seems to assign a default IP in there - does this communicate with the dhcp to get this info? 

Thanks again for your help on this much appreciated. 

I'll update the thread if i notice any difference from changing the mesh, fast roaming, IP pool size etc. 

Many thanks,

Ben.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 766

Replies: 2

Related Articles