Extending my Wifi Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extending my Wifi Range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Extending my Wifi Range
Extending my Wifi Range
2020-11-13 08:52:53
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.20.0 Build 20200511 Rel. 33388

Hi

I want to add another EAP110 because my neighbour gets a weak signal...

Can I just plug it in, join it to my home wifi and then take it to his house, plug it in again for power and point it back to the existing EAP110 about 70 meters away and expect it all to work ok?

If I can't... what can I do to help him?

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Extending my Wifi Range
2020-11-13 13:25:04

Hi @Bebe1980,

No, I don't think so.  The EAP110 Outdoor and EAP225 Outdoor units are wireless access points, not extenders or point to point links.  They do not support joining an existing Wifi network as a "client" or "repeater."

I'm not sure of your setup -- do you have an existing Ethernet connected EAP110 Outdoor device now?  But the Wifi range doesn't reach your neighbor's house?  Or the signal inside of this house is poor?

There are a few different potential options.  

1) Run Ethernet from your house to his.  Twisted pair, copper Ethernet supports distances up to 100meter @ 1000 Mbit/sec using Category 5e and higher cabling.  Fiber, of course, can travel farther distances.

2) Replace your outdoor 110 with a pair of EAP225-OD's.  These support MESH when used with the Omada SW or OC-200.  Both would be mounted outside.  One Ethernet connected to your network.  For the other, it would be linked wirelessly to yours via MESH.  You would then run Ethernet from it into his house and connect it to his existing network OR connect it to an internal AP (like an EAP225V3) to provide wifi in his home.

3) Use a point to point, outdoor, network device like the CPE Product line

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/outdoor-radio/

These support joining an existing Wifi network as a client.  OR use two for a higher speed / longer distance  point to point wireless link.

Of these, Option #3 is probably the simplest/cheapest, but likely will provide the lowest performance (CPE210 linked to your EAP110).  I would expect it could provide about 50 Mbit/sec of throughput over a 20MHz channel.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-13 15:29:09 - last edited 2020-11-13 15:47:18

Thanks Jonathan... I thought it might be something like that. What about using a better receiver or an amplifier at his end to capture the wifi from the eap110 ?

Re 3 - the CPE option

Would one CPE210 be enough or would I need two...?

Options
2020-11-13 16:46:57

Hi @Bebe1980,

You could potentially start with a single CPE.  The CPE can function in a number of ways that a regular AP cannot -- it's kind of like a "portable travel router" if you are familiar with these little gizmos -- supporting a variety of potential connection/configuration options.  If you are only ~70m away, though, the EAP110 together with one CPE should work -- especially since the EAP110 is on 2.4Ghz which carries further than 5.8GHz.  You may need to adjust the height of your 110 (higher).

Two CPE's would be "better" in that they have much more directional antennas and therefore focus their RF radiation at each other (if properly aimed).  But it depends on what you currently use your 110 for now.  If you have mobile outdoor wifi users in your yard that use the 110, replacing it with a CPE would not work as well for them due to the directionality of the antennas.

I'm not sure what kind of speed you are hoping for.  Neither the CPE210 nor the CPE510 have super fast speeds but do work for much farther distances than a regular outdoor EAP.  Best case throughput on these is ~80-90 Mbit as they have a 100Mbit/s Ethernet connection.

There is also the new CPE710 in some markets.  But this is a brand new product -- I've not seen anyone on the board here with one.

I do see it on Amazon USA -- amazing price at $70, too.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Transmission-Wireless-Passive-CPE710/dp/B08D71HC9L/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=CPE710&qid=1605285860&sr=8-2

Not sure what country you are in.

-Jonathan

Options
2021-01-29 03:55:31 - last edited 2021-01-29 04:07:26

Thanks for that.

In the end I bought a new router for indoors Archer C7 - very nice...

Made a waterproof box for the old router and moved it outside running a cable from the switch which is connected to the Archer C7

Then I took down the EAP 110 and moved it to the front of the house where I'll have more clients when we eventually get more bandwidth.

I'm in the Philippines so I'm hoping we'll be selling wifi vouchers to non-family... or maybe running a gaming server for something like Mobile Legends which is very popular around here

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1015

Replies: 4

Related Articles