CPE-220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE-220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CPE-220
CPE-220
2020-12-01 02:09:04 - last edited 2020-12-01 02:14:11
Model: CPE220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Requesting some assistance on the following,

I have a friend who has just purchased a Backpacker hostel which is situated on a semi rural location. The location can only receive NBN wireless which the maximum speed it can get is around 100mbps. The first CPE220 is ran POE and is setup as WiFi repeater currently it gets 70mbps to a certain point of the hostel however once inside a dorm it drops WiFi completely which i guess is understandable. However the second CPE220 is only getting at most 7MBPS.

According to Google the overall distance of the hostel is around 135 meters. i believe from where the modem is installed to where the second CPE220 is installed would be around 70 meters.  

Are these devices suited for this location? 

The router is a default Telstra modem which can only get 40/20mhz or 20mhz.

Upon doing a survey of the area it is heavily congested with other networks even though it is a semi rural area. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE-220
2020-12-01 09:38:38

Dear @BeauClarke,

The Pharos CPE has directional antennas, the energy is concentrated on the front panel of the device at a certain angle. So the Pharos CPE is not suitable to provide hotspot WiFi but more suitable for building a point-to-point wireless connection.

Here is an application example of Pharos CPE for your reference. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1226/

In addition, the wireless signal of the Pharos CPE in Bridge/Repeater mode is normally weaker than that in other modes. We recommend using two devices in Client and Access Point mode respectively to replace the device in Bridge/Repeater mode.

For your case, if it is possible to hardwire the first CPE220 to the Telstra modem and set it up as an Access Point instead, you may try the following setup:

Telstra modem ---->Ethernet----1st CPE220 in AP mode )))wireless(((

2nd CPE220 in Client mode ---->Ethernet----EAP225-Outdoor )))wireless((( end-clients

If it's not possible to hardwire the first CPE220 to the Telstra modem, you may try to replace the 1st CPE with additional AP like:

Telstra modem )))wireless((( 1st CPE220 in Client mode ---->Ethernet----EAP225-Outdoor)))wireless(((

Note: The EAP225-Outdoor supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi and it can provide 360° Hotspot WiFi for the end-clients.

Please note that obstacles like thick walls would weaken the WiFi signal. If the dorm is made of concrete walls, the WiFi signal may drop.

In this case, you may consider adding APs inside the dorm to provide good WiFi signals.

Hope the information above is helpful for you.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:CPE-220
2020-12-02 10:41:47
Thank you for all of the information! i have placed an order for the EAP225 which should hopefully arrive in the next day or so and i will head back out onsite and run some more ethernet cable and get to the bottom of it all. Thanks again!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 555

Replies: 2

Related Articles