Multi-SSID VLAN with TL-WA1201 and TL-SG1016DE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-07 17:43:37 - last edited 2020-12-10 12:08:37
Model: TL-WA1201  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I've got a TP Link TL-WA1201 access point which has support for multiple SSIDs and VLANs, and a TL-SG1016DE switch. I'm trying to get separate VLANs for WiFi devices so I can keep IoT devices, Smart TV and anything which only needs an internet connection separate from the rest of my home network, which has both wired and wireless devices.

I've read this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/418/ which I thought meant that what I am trying to do should be possible. Although it doesn't mention what capabilities are required on the router, the port used from the AP on the Switch is marked as tagged, and the port for the router is untagged, which I thought meant that the egress traffic would be untagged (even if tagged traffic was received for that VLAN). Untagged traffic would reach my Sky router and all would be well, or so I thought. 

I have setup three SSIDs on the Access Point which have VLAN IDs of 1 (not shown), 2 and 3. The SSID with VLAN 1 I'm planning on removing, but I can connect via WiFi and I get an internet connection. On the switch I have the default VLAN 1 with all ports as untagged members, including port 13 which is the Access Point.

I'm testing VLAN 3 but I haven't yet been able to get an internet connection using it. On the switch I have VLAN 3 with the Access Point port 13 a tagged member, and port 16 as an untagged member. I don't know why I can't get an internet connection on this VLAN. I've read other threads about asynchronous VLANs but that was with UniFi APs which were sending untagged traffic to the switch. I presume I could later on add ports 5 and 8 as shown below as either untagged members, or as tagged members and add a PVID of 3 to those ports and all devices on VLAN 3 would be able to see each other?

That's secondary though until I can get out to the internet using VLAN 3. Am I doing anything fundamentally wrong?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multi-SSID VLAN with TL-WA1201 and TL-SG1016DE-Solution
2020-12-10 02:16:55 - last edited 2020-12-10 12:08:37

Dear @AndrewG,

What I found was this linked under the FAQ, titled How to configure 802.1Q VLAN on TP-Link Load Balance and VPN routers using the new GUI?

From the list of devices it applies to, it implies that the TL-R470T+ would also be suitable, can you confirm whether this is the case?

You may check the datasheet or UG of the product to verify the supported function if you don't find related info from the specification.

Yes, all the models listed in the FAQ would be suitable. The reason why I didn't mention the TL-R470T+ V6 or the TL-R480T+ V9 is that they only have 100Mbps ports. If your ISP provides no more than 100Mbps bandwidth, the two models are also your choice.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Multi-SSID VLAN with TL-WA1201 and TL-SG1016DE
2020-12-07 18:27:37

I've just stumbled across this https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/152577 which might be the cause of my problem? I am using my Sky Router for DHCP (because there is no DHCP feature on the switch, because it's a switch?!) and I've only just noticed that when I connect to the WiFi SSID for VLAN 2 or 3 I'm not getting a 192.168.0.x IP address which my router should be handing out. 

Is there any way I can make this work without buying or trading one of my pieces of hardware?

If not, I could add a VLAN-aware router which looks like another £50+ for a Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter. Are there any similarly featured TP Link devices? I can't justify adding a TL-ER6120 to my home network.

Alternatively I could still return my Access Point in exchange for something like a TP-Link Archer C50. If I plugged the switch into the Archer router using an untagged port, would I be able to reach wired devices on the switch over the WiFi from the router? I presume I could as long as I'm only trying to reach untagged devices on VLAN 1? It would mean I can only have two wifi networks, guest and effectively VLAN 1, would I still be able to use separate VLANs on the switch for wired devices and have those VLANs able to access the internet via the router? I think so, but then I thought this would all work before...

Options
2020-12-09 09:56:36 - last edited 2020-12-09 09:57:01

Dear @AndrewG,

The FAQ (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1849/) doesn't apply for TL-WA1201 actually.

The router needs to be VLAN-aware and tag the port connecting to the router on the switch.

I've only just noticed that when I connect to the WiFi SSID for VLAN 2 or 3 I'm not getting a 192.168.0.x IP address which my router should be handing out. 

I think it is due to that the port connected to the router is untagged and the router is no VLAN-aware.

If not, I could add a VLAN-aware router which looks like another £50+ for a Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter. Are there any similarly featured TP Link devices? I can't justify adding a TL-ER6120 to my home network.

For your reference, the TL-R600VPN can do this job as well.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-09 14:06:24

@Fae Thank you for your reply and recommendation of the TL-R600VPN device. 

I'm still having a hard time determining whether any TP Link Routers are compatible with a VLAN setup based on the product details pages. I can't find any mention of VLAN or 802.1Q in the description or under the specifications. What should I be looking for on the product pages to work this out?

What I found was this linked under the FAQ, titled How to configure 802.1Q VLAN on TP-Link Load Balance and VPN routers using the new GUI?

From the list of devices it applies to, it implies that the TL-R470T+ would also be suitable, can you confirm whether this is the case?

Options
Re:Multi-SSID VLAN with TL-WA1201 and TL-SG1016DE-Solution
2020-12-10 02:16:55 - last edited 2020-12-10 12:08:37

Dear @AndrewG,

You may check the datasheet or UG of the product to verify the supported function if you don't find related info from the specification.

Yes, all the models listed in the FAQ would be suitable. The reason why I didn't mention the TL-R470T+ V6 or the TL-R480T+ V9 is that they only have 100Mbps ports. If your ISP provides no more than 100Mbps bandwidth, the two models are also your choice.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-11 10:58:50

@Fae I'm still struggling a bit with the configuration of the WA1201, SG1015DE and R600VPN router which arrived yesterday. On the router it seems as though I can only assign each port to a single VLAN. I will have tagged traffic coming from the separate SSID VLANs coming into the switch over a trunk, and that tagged traffic should go to the router over trunk, but it looks like the switch can only handle port-based VLANs? If I have 4 separate SSID/VLANs on the access point how can I configure the switch and router so I use a trunk connection and avoid having to use 4 separate ports on each?

Options
2020-12-12 17:41:20

Apologies, I've figured it out. It was a bit late when I was trying to set this up in the evening when the router arrived. This FAQ was very useful, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2246/

Options
2020-12-14 00:43:19

Dear @AndrewG,

Apologies, I've figured it out. It was a bit late when I was trying to set this up in the evening when the router arrived. This FAQ was very useful, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2246/

No worries. Glad to hear that your concern was resolved finally. Thank you for sharing the results here.

Hope you could enjoy the Internet and have a nice day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2736

Replies: 7