Hi - My TP-Link LS1005G5Port seems to be slowing down my network - any help welcome

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hi - My TP-Link LS1005G5Port seems to be slowing down my network - any help welcome

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 15:16:47 - last edited 2020-12-09 01:22:04

Hi All

I hope you;re well.

I've been running a mini-network in my room (PC, PS5, Smart TV) via a powerline for some-time now and due to various issues with the circuits in my parents' older house, which were causing fluctuations in speed, I finally decided to run a ethernet cable straight from the Virgin box downstairs, all the way to my room. The cable now connects to my TP-Link LS1005 5 Port Gigabit Switch and then goes off to various devices from there - listed above.

The issue is, when the speeds I am getting from the Gigabit Switch are about 1/3 the speed I am getting if I plug the cable (from downstairs) directly into the desktop. In fact, the speeds are actually slower with the cable directly into the Gigabit Switch than I got from the powerline setup I had originally (that also ran through the Gigabit Switch)

For reference, the speeds I am getting on speedtest.net with the cable directly into my desktop is 400mbps. The speed I am getting when I am running the cable to the switch and then to the desktop is 80-90.

At first I thought this might be because of cat5 cable being used (but cat5 was used in the previous setup where the powerline was used to) but in fact because the speeds are below the limit of cat5, i doubt it's the cable, it seems that the switch is in some way limiting the speeds that I am getting.

Does anyone know why this might be? Do I need to purchase a different switch?

I've ordered 5 new cat6 cables to use from the switch for the various devices as a precaution anyway, but I doubt it's that - or am I completely mistaken?

That's for the help in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum!

Thanks

Oli

Options
1 Reply
Re:Hi - My TP-Link LS1005G5Port seems to be slowing down my network - any help welcome
2020-12-09 10:48:57

Dear @UMS,

Is the switch LS1005 or LS1005G?

Please kindly note that they are different models, one is only equipped with 100Mbps ports while the other has 1000Mbps ports.

For reference, the speeds I am getting on speedtest.net with the cable directly into my desktop is 400mbps. The speed I am getting when I am running the cable to the switch and then to the desktop is 80-90.

From the description, it seems that the link speed on the desktop is only 100Mbps.

• If the switch is LS1005, then the speed you get is normal since it only has 100Mbps ports.

• If the switch is LS1005G, you may refer to this guide to check the link speed on the desktop when it's connected to the switch.

In this case, the link speed on the desktop should be 1Gbps since the switch has 1Gbps ports. If not, change a cable for checking.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2377

Replies: 1

Related Articles