Band Steering Configuration Parameters on SDN Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-18 00:40:52
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello Community,

Hopefully many of you may have set up band steering function on the EAPs managed by SDN controller to help better utilization of 5GHz SSID.

There are couple of parameters that I need clarifications on:

1. Maximum failures (default is 5). Is this number of attempt by a client repeatedly trying to connect to 2.4GHz despite being offered to join 5GHz? The tool tip says 5GHz attempts though. Not sure if this is typo mistake.

2. Difference Threshold (default is 4). I assume this is per EAP of course and that if an AP has more than 4 client difference between 5Ghz vs 2GHz, then it will stop doing band steering? While many clients will prefer to simply probe 5Ghz first and thus join it, but we see iPhones preferring to use 2.4Ghz. In an environment where an AP could have 25 clients, will raising this figure from 4 to 10 be a good idea? It allows values between 1 and 20.

I will generally have Low power settings for the 2.4 and medium for the 5GHz radios and same SSID name / PSK on both radios, to allow band steering.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 0