How does the coverage pattern look like for EAP225 when mounted at 35 feet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-18 00:58:17 - last edited 2020-12-18 07:26:45
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello Community,

Imagine a scenario where I have more than 30 APs, each about 60 feet average part, mounted at about 35 ft high (ceiling is 40 feet and the APs will be lowered 5 to 6 feet) and 5GHz power set to medium and 2.4GHz power set to low. Can I expect some kind of conical / inverted soccer type of coverage? With no DFS channels available in North America, we only have 9 channels of 20MHz width.  The primary use case is Smartphones in a marketplace.And I have no idea as to how the radiation pattern looks like for these APs so as to minimize the energy being sent higher up space. I will assume that as it is standard with most built-in antenna designs these days, Tplink antenna also have built-in electrical or mechanical down-tilt to help steer the coverage downwards.

If indoors EAP225 was available withe external antenna, I would have gone for patch antenna to restrict the coverage to smaller area and to help better uplink signal from the smartphones.

Anyone having installed APs on high ceilings, please share your experience.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:How does the coverage pattern look like for EAP225 when mounted at 35 feet?
2020-12-18 23:26:58

Hi @dpsguard 

From a prior post by @R1D2 and @Fae  

I have not personally tried it.  But realistically at ~25-35 feet through free air, I think you'll be fine.

I use the signal from my EAP225's and 245's across multiple (2) floors in my house.  One on the second floor pointing down and one on the first floor (at the other end of the house) pointing up.  While less than 35 feet (more like ~15) the signal (of the AP and STA) are penetrating the flooring, too.  Works fine.

-Jonathan

Options
Re:How does the coverage pattern look like for EAP225 when mounted at 35 feet?
2020-12-18 23:39:12 - last edited 2020-12-18 23:41:28

@JSchnee21 

Thank you for this useful information. Definitely, my application is not home use, but for a free wi-fi set up at a commercial place and will have many many APs.

So my use case will have most APs at about 30 feet high. As per this formula, assuming that coverage pattern is in fact like a cone of 150 degrees, it will provide coverage almost in a radius of 100 feet. The formula does not take into account the frequency band, and transmit power.

For typical smartphone use case, we will typically like to balance the transmit power and maybe have it 3dB more than typical transmit power of cell phone (which could be about 10dBm). So formula needs to take into account transmit power and the frequency.

I assume this formula is more like for 2.4GHz with a high power. For 5GHz, we typically see 6dB loss as compared to 2.4GHz at 50 feet away and thus distance / range will be half (distance square equates to power doubled). So should we assume that for 5GHz use case and power set to medium, coverage is more like 40 feet radius?

This is what I assumed and then to allow roaming overlap of 10 feet in between any two APs, I had thus come up with AP to AP disnatnce of 60 feet when mounted at about 30 feet high.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2022

Replies: 2