Votes

mDNS Service

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

mDNS Service

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
252 Reply
Re:mDNS Service
2021-12-28 14:45:16 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@BartPollet   Yes, your 'solution' is nice and fairly easy to implement.

At this point - several months after the first post in this thread - this function may be  implemented --- eventually...

There's a lot of potential  but sadly seems lacking in support and other key areas IMO ...

Options
2021-12-29 07:53:32 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@Positron 

Hello, thank you for your reply.

But this functionality is IMPORTANT.

e.g. BIG PLAYER APPLE

If you have the possibility, run for Smarthome devices and software (eg Philips Hue, Home Assistant, Homebridge, ioBroker, etc.) a separate network (eg Smart Home LAN) with its own VLAN. So that you can control these devices / software easier what you may or may not.

If you now have your devices (e.g. Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, etc.) in another network (e.g. Private Lan) with its own VLAN, it is not possible to add a new bridge to Apple Homekit without mDNS, and already added bridges do not work anymore. To keep the function, I have to bring my end devices (e.g. Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, etc.) into the "Smart Home LAN", but you don't want that.

I myself switched from UNIFI (here it was no problem and the same LAN setup worked fine) to TP-LINK devices (5 Switch, 3 Access Point, Router ER7206, Omada Controller OC300). That mDNS does not work with TP-LInk was surprising for me and at the same time I am now really disappointed.

The suggestion of @BartPollet (Post #41) to bring a Raspberry with avahi in the network is actually a cheek. Why should I bring another device (that needs power, even if not much and maintenance in the form of software updates) into the network, when this functionality should be given in devices of this price range.

If mDNS is not implemented in the next versions, then I will turn to the Youtube channels (I know 2 larger of them closer and am in many forums etc. on the subject of Smart Home Unterweges), the TP-LINK Omada present and point out there in the comments and Discord channels that things as described above do not work "OUT OF THE BOX", as it should be.

Sorry, but I had to vent my anger here once, if you spend thousands of euros and then such self-evident things do not work, then you are rightly annoyed. Especially since you can not know this before as an end user.

I am still convinced that the change from Unifi to TP-Link was not a wrong decision and I still hope that such small things are fixed quickly.

Finally, the relatively inexpensive devices from TP-Link compared to other manufacturers, clearly target the end user or small businesses and not large companies. For this reason, such a functionality without "tinkering solution" must be given.

Thank you, I hope that this thread is forwarded to the responsible bodies.

In German:

Hallo, danke für Ihre Antwort.

Aber diese funktionalität ist WICHTIG.

z.B. BIG PLAYER APPLE

Wenn man die Möglichkeit hat, betreibt man für Smarthome Geräte und Software (z.B. Philips Hue, Home Assistant, Homebridge, ioBroker, usw.) ein eigenes Netzwerk (zB. Smart Home LAN) mit eigner VLAN. Damit man diese Geräte / Software leichter kontrollieren kann was Sie dürfen, oder eben nicht dürfen.

Hat man jetzt seine Endgeräte (z.B. Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, usw.) in einem weiteren Netzwerk (z.B. Privat Lan) mit eigner VLAN, so ist es ohne mDNS z.B. nicht möglich eine neue Bridge zu Apple Homekit hinzufügen, und bereits hinzugefügt Bridges funktionieren nicht mehr. Damit die Funktion erhalten bleibt, muss ich meine Endgeräte (z.B. Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, usw.)  ins „Smart Home LAN“ bringen, das möchte man aber nicht.

Ich selbst bin von UNIFI (hier war das kein Problem und der gleiche LAN aufbau funktionierte einwandfrei) auf TP-LINK Geräte (5 Switch, 3 Access Point, Router ER7206, Omada Controller OC300) umgestiegen. Das mDNS bei TP-LInk nicht funktioniert, war für mich überraschend und gleichzeitig bin ich jetzt richtig enttäuscht.

Der Vorschlag von @BartPollet (Post #41) einen Raspberry mit avahi ins Netzwerk zu bringen ist eigentlich eine Frechheit. Warum sollte ich ein weiteres Gerät (das Strom benötigt, auch wenn nicht viel und Wartung in Form von Software Updates) ins Netzwerk bringen, wenn diese Funktionalität bei Geräten dieser Preisklasse geben sein sollte.

Wird mDNS in den nächsten Versionen nicht implementiert, dann werde ich mich an die Youtube Kanäle (ich kenne 2 größere davon näher und bin in vielen Foren usw. zum Thema Smart Home Unterweges) wenden, die TP-LINK Omada vorstellen und dort in den Kommentaren und Discord Kanälen darauf hinweisen das Dinge wie oben beschrieben nicht „OUT OF THE BOX“ funktionieren, wie es eigentlich sein sollte.

Sorry, aber ich musste meinem Ärger hier einmal Luft machen, wenn man tausende Euro ausgibt und dann solche selbstverständlichen Dinge nicht funktionieren, dann ärgert man sich zurecht. Zumal man dies vorher ja auch nicht wissen kann als Endverbraucher.

Ich bin nach wie vor überzeugt das der wechsel von Unifi zu TP-Link keine falsche Entscheidung war und ich hoffe immer noch das solche Kleinigkeiten schnell behoben werden.

Zum Schluss, die relativ preiswerten Geräte von TP-Link im vergleich zu anderen Herstellern, zielen ja klar auf den Endverbraucher oder kleine Firmen ab und nicht auf große Unternehmen. Aus diesem Grund muss so eine funktionalität ohne „Bastel-Lösung“ gegeben sein.

Vielen Dank, ich hoffe darauf das dieser Thread an die dafür verantwortlichen Stellen weitergeleitet wird.

Options
2022-01-08 21:14:25 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@Xstreem Hey TP-Link anyone home? Also waiting for this service implemented. Its very discouraging to see the lack of consideration from you guys considering the feedback you are getting from your community. Lots people here im sure have voices where they work. Do you think people are going to recommend your product line?

Options
2022-01-09 14:39:34 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

Add me to the list of people who switched from Unifi to be surprised to find Omada doesn't work to segregate your IoT devices and doesn't work with Apple HomeKit. Seems like a huge oversight. 

Options
2022-01-09 15:09:13 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

Hey TP-Link, anything to add here?!

This is one of your most viewed/popular topics and its been months now with no word whatsoever if this is in the works or even on the roadmap...

It's certainly not encouraging from a support perspective for people looking to your products for their professional networking solutions. 

Options
2022-01-13 14:52:38 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43
And another! I am just taking delivery of ER7206 TL-SG2210P EAP 620HD EAP 660HD Unraid Docker running Omada 5.0 I already am upgrading from 3 x EAP225 v1s which have been excellent, so took the plunge since my house has too many IOT devices all roaming around one network! I was all set to run a nicely segregated IOT VLAN and wanted a bit of convenience with mDNS, so quite disappointed that it's not formally announced either way.. I like the Rasp Pi + Avahi idea, will need to read up on that!
Options
2022-01-13 15:02:57 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@Xstreem it's so frustrating we are not considered and no one from TP-Link is jumping into this. 

It's so unbelievable that they invested into these product line, money, time and resources for a mediocre product, unexisting service and zero improvements, when I started using this system was almost an year ago and when reporting things I was told several time that things were new and we had to have patience, I was expecting a month by month concrete improvements, features and bug resolution.... the reality a BIG BLACK HOLE - ZERO !

P.S. this is just one of tons of bugs and missing features. Any update I see are just coming with useless stuff.

Sadly have to seriously discourage anyone to invest money into Omada system !

Options
2022-01-13 17:45:01 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43
This is not a solution with the Raspberry Pi and Avahi. TP-LINK must regulate this. After all, they even produce smarthome devices themselves! Join in and push the other posts with a thumbs up. Maybe one will wake up after all. I will suggest a friend of mine (YoutTube channel with currently 112500 subscribers) to make a video on the subject.
Options
2022-01-13 18:51:46 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@TM-8 

That would definately get someones attention.

Options
2022-01-13 23:25:41 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

+1 for mDNS support!

Options

Voters 36

+ 32 Voters