TX Rate drops to 0 / 2.4ghz high interference / Wyze Camera wireless issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-21 02:15:35 - last edited 2020-12-22 19:07:30
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.0

This weekend I set out to try and figure out where my 2.4 interference was coming from.  Last update from support was to reboot my EAP's nightly, which I did last night, but several devices lost connectivity after the reboot, so I decided that's not something I want to do on a regular basis. I did some research and testing on why my 2.4ghz reliability has been so poor.  Part of that research led me to the 802.11 rate control settings (under SSID configuration under Site Settings -> Wireless Networks).  First thing was to get the 2 "b/g" systems off of my network. One could be wired, so it is now wired, the other isn't needed right now. So, I only have legacy "n" devices now.  Once the b/g devices were gone, I adjusted the rate control settings higher (midway) and forced clients to abide by that rule. I unchecked the beacon speed setting as, from reading, you want the beacon speed to be at whatever your minimum rate is, not 1Mbps. 

I then set out to remove excessive SSIDs as each SSID brings with it some overhead (from a competitors website). The SSID I removed was a "placeholder" SSID that I overwrote on each EAP so I could tag hosts to specific EAP's. I decided to see if I could get things working without this. 

Things seemed OK - I was able to get TX rates up on most devices, yet some devices (wifi oulets with a lightblub beside them - power saving?) have a low RX rate. After tweaking these settings on my SSID's I believe I realized what I believe may be causing my interference issues due to low (often 0) TX rates on my Wyze cameras. These 3 cameras are not running the latest firmware, but it's firmware from October of this year - all are Wyze v2's.  If you notice, the signal on these is fairly high as they are relatively close to my EAP's. My "Upstairs" EAP is 14dbm/20MHz, "Downstairs" is 22dbm/20MHz.  Essentially, it appears that I have to turn off 802.11 rate control settings in order to use these cameras, otherwise, interference spikes tremendously. 

So even if I don't rate limit Guest Network, this is what I see.  

Then a minute later I see this and interference jumps up.  EAP is on channel 6 and nobody is around.  13dbm is my setting for this EAP. 

Is this a TP link issue or a Wyze issue?  I would think my TX rates would be much higher given the signal.  When the TX rate drops to 0, this is when interference spikes to 90+%.  My neighbors are far away and my signal is not at full blast.  I even completely removed any rate limit settings for this SSID and this is the only device on that SSID, with very few (8) devices on the EAP, and still have horrible luck with Wyze.  Here is a ping (from a wired device on my LAN) to my Wyze v2 camera when TX rate drops to 0.  I don't think this is a 2.4ghz interference issue from another source because I have a different camera (YiHome) that looks fine on the same table as this one and on the same SSID and its TX rate is 65Mbps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 756

Replies: 0

Related Articles