Rate control doesn’t work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-27 15:39:39
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200930 Rel.36519

I've configured one of the ports with a rate limit of 100 Mbps for downloads. But even then I see that's choking my R605 router which shows a maximum internet bandwidth of 186 Mbps. Looking at the data for the connected device 120+ GB was uploaded while only 3 GB was downloaded. I'm assuming the 'download' rate control should be considered to be the upload for the connected device and the 'upload' is actually the download for the device. Something to test right away.

Steven
Options
4 Reply
Re:Rate control doesn’t work
2020-12-29 09:58:23

Dear @StevenB_BE,

I've configured one of the ports with a rate limit of 100 Mbps for downloads. But even then I see that's choking my R605 router which shows a maximum internet bandwidth of 186 Mbps. Looking at the data for the connected device 120+ GB was uploaded while only 3 GB was downloaded. I'm assuming the 'download' rate control should be considered to be the upload for the connected device and the 'upload' is actually the download for the device. Something to test right away.

What's the bandwidth provided by your ISP? How did you test the internet bandwidth of the R605 router?

Are you using the R605 and Switch in Controller mode? Can you upload a screenshot of the rate limit setting page?

Do you mean that the R605 router is connected to the port that has the rate limit configured?

If you connect to the port without a rate limit configured, do you get a reasonable bandwidth from the router?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-29 12:02:08

@Fae 

the theoretical rate of my ISP is 300 Mbps. Speedtests show a stable 186 Mbps. Without rate control the device (a PlayStation 4) hit a sustained maximum of 6,1 GB per 5 minutes (based upon the measurement of my TL-SG2428P switch). That equals roughly 167 Mbps which gets close to the 186 taking into account I have between 10 and 15 devices online during the day. 
I didn't witness such high throughputs the last couple of days as it is related to large updates. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Does the switch log something when you hit the rate control limit?

Steven
Options
2020-12-30 08:01:51

Dear @StevenB_BE,

For the Rate Control on the switch, you may note that Ingress Rate is the upload speed for the connected device, while Egress Rate is the download speed for the connected device. Please confirm that the rate limit is configured well first.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-02 14:30:59
Hi @Fae, I came to the same conclusion in the meanwhile. Didn’t witness the situation with high demand so have not been able to validate the rate control until now.
Steven
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 503

Replies: 4

Related Articles