Client WAN affinity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Client WAN affinity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Client WAN affinity
Client WAN affinity
2020-12-29 20:05:21 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:17:46
Model: TL-R470T+  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20160809 Rel.35760s

My R470+ is set up with two WAN's. The first one is my cable provider (WAN1), the second a ADSL provider (WAN2). Now I am using Android TV to watch channels from my cable provider. It however requires that I use the internet connection from my cable provider.

Is there a way that I can make sure that a certain client (MAC) always connects to WAN1?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Client WAN affinity-Solution
2021-01-03 14:53:11 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:17:46

@Nonax 

The solution for your problem can be achieved in two ways. 

Option 1: Policy Routing Option - You can use this option to route the traffic from your android TV to WAN 1. 

Step 1:  Reserve an IP address for your TV.   (This will ensure that your TV gets this IP always)

Goto Network->LAN->Address Reservation and create an entry for your TV using the MAC for your TV STB.

Step 2: Create an IP Group (this is required for policy routing)

Goto  Preferences->IP Group.   First create an IP address name for the IP address you have reserved in Step 1. and create an IP group 

Step 3:  Creating a Policy Routing

Goto Transmission->Routing->Policy Routing and create a new entry. 

For Source IP, select the IP group created in Step 2. 

For WAN,   select the correct WAN.

For Mode, select Only. 

Reboot your Android Box, so that its gets the new IP, (reserved in Step 1) and now all traffic from Android TV should go through the WAN you have selected in Step 3.

Option 2:  Static Routing 

If you know the range of the IP address used by your TV ISP, you can set a static route to send all the traffic for those IPs through the corresponding WAN.  This will be useful if you accessing the TV content using your mobile or laptop. 

HTH.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Client WAN affinity-Solution
2021-01-03 14:53:11 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:17:46

@Nonax 

The solution for your problem can be achieved in two ways. 

Option 1: Policy Routing Option - You can use this option to route the traffic from your android TV to WAN 1. 

Step 1:  Reserve an IP address for your TV.   (This will ensure that your TV gets this IP always)

Goto Network->LAN->Address Reservation and create an entry for your TV using the MAC for your TV STB.

Step 2: Create an IP Group (this is required for policy routing)

Goto  Preferences->IP Group.   First create an IP address name for the IP address you have reserved in Step 1. and create an IP group 

Step 3:  Creating a Policy Routing

Goto Transmission->Routing->Policy Routing and create a new entry. 

For Source IP, select the IP group created in Step 2. 

For WAN,   select the correct WAN.

For Mode, select Only. 

Reboot your Android Box, so that its gets the new IP, (reserved in Step 1) and now all traffic from Android TV should go through the WAN you have selected in Step 3.

Option 2:  Static Routing 

If you know the range of the IP address used by your TV ISP, you can set a static route to send all the traffic for those IPs through the corresponding WAN.  This will be useful if you accessing the TV content using your mobile or laptop. 

HTH.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Client WAN affinity
2021-01-03 20:04:15 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:17:46

Hi HTH / Landcruiser, thank you very much for your help!

I think I got it working now. The firmware for my version does not have all mentioned options, so I had to do it slightly different. I gave the TV a fixed IP address as mentioned, but I couldn't find an IP group option (there is also no preference menu item on my version). But under Advanced - Load Balance there is a policy routing tab. There I made the following entry:

Protocol: All Protocols

Source IP: (TV IP) - (TV IP)

Destination IP: 0.0.0.0 - 0.0.0.0

Source Port: 0-0

Destination Port: 0-0

WAN: WAN1

Effective time: Always

Then I did a reboot and checked if the TV had the correct IP and if the cable is still working, and it did. I hope that leaving the destination IP and ports to the default values means no restrictions. But because it is working I guess I can conclude on that.

Cheers,

Nonax

Options
Re:Client WAN affinity
2021-01-05 05:00:20 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:17:46

@Nonax 

Hi Nonax,

Sorry, I didnt pay much attention to the version details when I responded to your query.  I gave my answer based on the model that I am using.  After your response I checked my version details and they are of course different from yours. (HW=V6 and  FW = 6.0.3 Build 20180731 Rel.56894).

Your configuration looks good. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 458

Replies: 3

Related Articles