DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DHCP server
DHCP server
2021-01-02 16:31:17
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20160922 Rel.56653(s)

Hi, I'm a newbe on this forum and have a question about the Smart switch TL-1600. I want to enable the DHCP server functionality in the Switch.

Is this available on this switch or does it need an external DHCP server?

Thanks for helping me out.

Indy

Options
3 Reply
Re:DHCP server
2021-01-03 18:19:52

@Indy122 

Hey

Smart Switches can act as a DHCP Relay, but not as a DHCP server (see image below).  Generally DHCP server is only a feature on higher end layer3 switches. 

You would require an external DHCP server, be that a router or gateway.. something like the TL-R065 or your ISP provided router.

Options
2021-01-03 19:31:28

@Philbert 

Thanks for your answer. Is DHCP relay a pass through to an existing DHCP server?

Best regards,

Indy

Options
2021-01-03 19:36:46

@Indy122 

In a matter of speaking yes... its a copy of the DHCP server database that acts as a middle man in larger networks, rather than the clients talking to the DHCP server it will ask the relay for an address and the relay will update the DHCP server as to that address being handed out.

Its basically a middle man between the client and the DHCP server; ultimately so the client and server never have to talk directly.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 3

Related Articles