What is the function we can configure when the switch is managed by Omada SDN Controller

What is the function we can configure when the switch is managed by Omada SDN Controller

2021-01-11 03:09:08 - last edited 2022-06-26 05:12:28

TP-Link New Safestream Router, Jetstream Switch, and Omada AP can be managed by Omada SDN Controller.

For some Old Jetstream Switches, discussed here, we have released the new firmware to fit for Omada SDN Controller. If you are using the old Jetstream Switch, you can download the new firmware from the TP-Link Office Website to work with Omada SDN Controller.

Now Jetstream switch can work in two different modes, one is the standalone mode, another is the controller mode. In the standalone mode, you can configure the full function of the switch. But in the controller mode, some advanced functions are limited. Attachment is a summary of those functions that can be configured in controller mode. Please check the attached table for detailed information.

To help know clearly of the functions, the functions are classified as 5 types: System, Statistics, LAN Network, Network Security, and Services. For the detailed setting description, please refer to the Omada SDN Controller user guide to check the Switch settings.

If you have any advice for the functions in controller mode, please feel free to leave your comments below.

Sincerely thank you for your support and trust on TP-Link products.

File:
The functions that can be configured on the TP-Link Switch by Omada SDN Controller.xlsxDownload
>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
8 Reply
Re:【Update】What is the function we can configure when the switch is managed by Omada SDN Controller
2021-01-22 16:52:36
Dear Fae. Thanks for the list. It is very helpful. Unfortunately, I'm missing Jumbo Frames in it. They seem to be available only in standalone mode. When will it be possible to activate them in SDN mode, too? Kind regards Martin
Options
Re:【Update】What is the function we can configure when the switch is managed by Omada SDN Controller
2021-06-09 05:07:29 - last edited 2021-06-09 05:17:48

@Fae

I've been using my T1600G-28TS switch as a L2 switch with the Omada 4.3.5 Controller and thought I'd try some L3 features, specifically setting up some ports as L3/routed interfaces. Either I am misunderstanding the spreadsheet in your opening post or I cannot find the appropriate menus in the controller GUI. 

Do I need to have a TP-Link Gateway Router in my network to do this? Since I'm using pfSense as my Gateway Router/Firewall, does it mean I have to configure the switch in standalone mode to use its L3 features?

Thanks

Options
2021-06-09 09:02:42

@unmesh 

Routed ports are still not implemented.

You can do VLAN / subnet routing.

You will find this feature when you click the config tab of the switch in your device list.

First, you have to setup the networks (Setting -> wired networks -> LAN)

In the mentioned config tab, you can activate the networks and configure the interface of the switch in this network ("VLAN interface" sub tab)

Then you can setup static routes between these interfaces. ("static route" sub tab).

That's all up to now.

If you ask me, the Omada SDN controller is a great idea but still work in progress and shouldn't be used in a production environment up to now to manage wired devices. It's great for WLAN APs though.

Kind regards

Martin

Options
2021-06-09 14:15:26

Thanks @mwo 

Options
2021-06-11 01:19:07

@mwo ,

I too have a T1600G-28TS switch with the latest firmware ( 3.0.6 Build 20200805 Rel.55968 ).

you mentioned "VLAN interface" sub tab  for the switch.

My T1600G-28TS doesn't have a "VLAN" sub tab. It is missing.  I have only "General" , "Services", "IP Settings", and "Manage Device".

Do I have something misconfigured?

I also have a SG2008 5 port, and the sub tab "VLAN" is present on this switch. 

What am I missing?

Thanks Bruce

Options
2021-06-11 06:52:22

@tbird636 

The controller is still quite buggy for wired networks.

My first thoughts were:

- it only works for V3 of T1600

- it only works since V4.3.5 of Omada Controller

But having a second look at your post I suppose you meet all these criteria.

I also operate an SG2008 here. And what a surprise: The sub tabs are not available. My next thought is: Unlike the other switches, my SG2008 has been adopted before the upgrade to V4.3.5 of Omada. So, you might have to forget it first and readopt to make the new functions available.

My SG2008 is in use right now, so I cannot play around with it for the short term. But if you have the possibility, please try and share your experience.

Kind regards

Martin

BTW: The SG2008 has 8 ports, not 5.

Options
2021-06-11 17:33:09 - last edited 2021-06-11 17:35:43

@mwo oops, 8 port is right lol.

I took out the SG2008 (as a test to see what will happen when re-adopting)  and will move it and readopt it later and see what pops up.

I sis read somewhere my R605 router is supposed to have new firmware coming out to address the missing firewall in Omada 4.3.5, so maybe it is a firmware issue also.

Thanks!

Options
2021-06-11 18:58:18 - last edited 2021-06-11 18:59:15

I re-adopted the Sg2008. I still have the "VLAN Interface" tab, but lost the "IP Settings" tab and cannot set a static IP for the SG2008 switch now. 

smh

This is a work in progress.....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2308

Replies: 8

Related Articles