Do I need to replace the devices for my hotel network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-12 07:40:18 - last edited 2021-01-18 01:14:47
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a family hotel in Texas, not big, about 30 rooms. Previously I used TL-WA901N to provide the WiFi for the guest. It's really a bad experience to manage so many of them.

I noticed the hotel solution provided by tplink Omada SDN (Here I list the link of hotel network solution). I am not so sure whether to replace my TL-WA901N to the Omada access points. Do any body have the similar experience? What do you think the recommended products in the solution?

And as I didn't reserve Ethernet cable in my wall, so I initially prefer to install EAP245, the ceiling mount access point, in the corridor. How many access points should I buy? My hotel has two floors, about 30 rooms and around 300 square meters every floor.

Do not go gentle into that good night
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Do I need to replace the devices for my hotel network -Solution
2021-01-12 16:27:05 - last edited 2021-01-18 01:14:47

Welcome @Jesse_is_Flying !

TP-Link offers really nice small business solutions with great features and management for a very low price.  I use their business class products at home and love them.

For your small business, I would definitely recommend the TP-Link SDN Solution.  I'm not sure what you mean by "And as I didn't reserve Ethernet cable in my wall, so I initially prefer to install EAP245, the ceiling mount access point, in the corridor"

Do you have ethernet in the hallways?  But not in the rooms? (I think that is what you are saying).

Two floors -- what are the floors made of?  Concrete slabs?  What are the wall between rooms and corridors made of?  Cinder block?  How long is each hallway?

I would recommend the OC-200 (usu $87-99 on Amazon)(or OC-300), if 200 is no longer available), and multiple EAP225V3 ($59 on Amazon) per floor.  You might consider the EAP245V3, but it is $30 more ($99 on Amazon) per EAP.  You would do better with more EAP's closer together rather than fewer, "bigger" EAP's.

Consider how many wireless users (STA's) you expect per EAP.  And expect that EVERYONE will be streaming Netflix, YouTube, Zoom, FaceTime, etc.  You will need to throttle each user connect (very easy with the SDN software/OC-200).  And you may need to upgrade your ISP connection.  Also, be sure to keep your business network separate.  Ideally on a completely separate ISP connection.  Otherwise, hire an expert to setup the VLAN's and firewalls properly.

EAP's need to be Ethernet connected (don't use the MESH feature).  And you will need to provide power PoE.  From a PoE switch (separate purchase) or midspan injectors (included).  PoE only travels about 50 meters.  So if you have long hallways, you may need riser PoE switches at each end.

You'll likely want an EAP every ~20-30 feet or so down each hallway.  Ceiling mounted, centered between the walls is best.  If your walls are drywall, maybe slightly farther apart.  If concrete, brick, block, maybe closer together.  Alternate channels from EAP to EAP.  Use 20MHz for 2.4GHz, and 80MHz for 5.8GHz (though you may need to reduce this to 40MHz).  Set power levels to custom, and adjust each EAP using a tool like inSSIDER or AirMagnet or similar to check signal levels in each room.  Don't crank up the EAP powers to High.  Start with ~14 to 16 dBm.

-Jonathan

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Do I need to replace the devices for my hotel network -Solution
2021-01-12 16:27:05 - last edited 2021-01-18 01:14:47

Welcome @Jesse_is_Flying !

TP-Link offers really nice small business solutions with great features and management for a very low price.  I use their business class products at home and love them.

For your small business, I would definitely recommend the TP-Link SDN Solution.  I'm not sure what you mean by "And as I didn't reserve Ethernet cable in my wall, so I initially prefer to install EAP245, the ceiling mount access point, in the corridor"

Do you have ethernet in the hallways?  But not in the rooms? (I think that is what you are saying).

Two floors -- what are the floors made of?  Concrete slabs?  What are the wall between rooms and corridors made of?  Cinder block?  How long is each hallway?

I would recommend the OC-200 (usu $87-99 on Amazon)(or OC-300), if 200 is no longer available), and multiple EAP225V3 ($59 on Amazon) per floor.  You might consider the EAP245V3, but it is $30 more ($99 on Amazon) per EAP.  You would do better with more EAP's closer together rather than fewer, "bigger" EAP's.

Consider how many wireless users (STA's) you expect per EAP.  And expect that EVERYONE will be streaming Netflix, YouTube, Zoom, FaceTime, etc.  You will need to throttle each user connect (very easy with the SDN software/OC-200).  And you may need to upgrade your ISP connection.  Also, be sure to keep your business network separate.  Ideally on a completely separate ISP connection.  Otherwise, hire an expert to setup the VLAN's and firewalls properly.

EAP's need to be Ethernet connected (don't use the MESH feature).  And you will need to provide power PoE.  From a PoE switch (separate purchase) or midspan injectors (included).  PoE only travels about 50 meters.  So if you have long hallways, you may need riser PoE switches at each end.

You'll likely want an EAP every ~20-30 feet or so down each hallway.  Ceiling mounted, centered between the walls is best.  If your walls are drywall, maybe slightly farther apart.  If concrete, brick, block, maybe closer together.  Alternate channels from EAP to EAP.  Use 20MHz for 2.4GHz, and 80MHz for 5.8GHz (though you may need to reduce this to 40MHz).  Set power levels to custom, and adjust each EAP using a tool like inSSIDER or AirMagnet or similar to check signal levels in each room.  Don't crank up the EAP powers to High.  Start with ~14 to 16 dBm.

-Jonathan

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Do I need to replace the devices for my hotel network
2021-01-18 01:14:40

@JSchnee21 Really thanks for your detailed reply, that's really helpful.

Yes, that's right, I have ethernet in the hallways, not in the rooms, and that's the way I connected internet to my previous access points. 

The floors are made of concrete slabs, and walls are mainly made of bricks. The layout of my hotel is similar to a rectangle, and each hallway is about total 60 meters. I contacted with TPLINK, and also asked my cousin. I decide to purchase one OC-200 and ten EAP225. I will check the wifi performance after the installation. Shall there are anything interesting or disturbing, I will share here later.

Do not go gentle into that good night
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 2