Optimized settings for EAP660 HD

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-19 13:34:06
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi guys! Would like the help of the community here. I have just converted my APs from Unifi to TP-Link as it offers WIFI 6. I'm currently using 3 x EAP 660HD. I have been trying to play around with the settings. Need your advice. My channels i have set to those less used AP. For the transmission power for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, what should i set? Medium or High? Cause i need one of the APs to be able to reach further. Should I put one of the AP high and the rest medium or custom value? As i understand from what i read online, higher power means the ranger is further and can penetrate more walls but the throughput will be lesser? And the channel width should i set 20/40/80 or set to one value only? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Optimized settings for EAP660 HD
2021-01-20 11:02:29

@networkgeek21 

you need to experiment for medium or high, or just do custom. For 5Ghz I leave width set to 80 for better speeds.

Options
Re:Optimized settings for EAP660 HD
2021-01-20 15:03:40

Hi @networkgeek21,

I recommend using the custom scale for better control.  Your 5.8GHz transmit power will need to be higher than for 2.4GHz.  I find 80MHz (for 5.8; 20MHz only for 2.4) only gives a more reliable connection speed than 20/40/80 in most cases.  I'd recommend starting with ~16dBm.  5.8GHz will likely need to go up (to 18 to 22).  2.4GHz should be in the ~14-16 range, typically.

Generally speaking, the reliability and speed of the connection is often dictated by the return signal power (RSSI) from your mobile device (STA) rather than the transmit power of the AP.  If you're AP's are turned up too high, STA's won't roam properly and will try to hang on to an AP that is too far away (for the return signal).

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1572

Replies: 2