TL-R480T+ V2 - how to configure usage of multiple WANs properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-20 12:00:23 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:00:01
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: 9.0.2 Build 20180926 Rel.34538

Hi

I have a question about the load balancer and how to set it up to do what I want it to do. 

I'm using this in a home environment which during lockdown means 4 or 5 people on zoom calls or teams at once.

I live in a rural area where the only half decent connections available are 4g wireless.  I can get something like 4-5Mbps download and 6-8Mbps upload from each of Three, 02 and Vodafone.  All 3 SIMs are in Huawei B311s which are connected to the WAN ports.  They are all about the same in terms of speed, but they are all also a bit flakey, so no reason to choose one over the other as 'Primary' and another as 'secondary' or whatever.  Not looking to use this setup for failover so much as looking for it to make the most of what is available.

The LAN port is connected to a Tenda MW6 mesh WIFI which works very well.

Overall we seem to just about have enough WAN bandwidth across the 3 WANs for everyone to do what they need to do, but the issue seems to be at times when one of the WANs goes a bit flakey and instead of doing its normal 5Mb it drops to say 0.5Mb...  So still working, just very slow.  

So if you are on a call on Zoom, or watching Netflix say and this happens, my understanding is the application you are using 'sticks' with the WAN it's on unless it becomes totally unavailable.  So you could be the only person in the house online, and just because the Load Balancer decided to put Netflix through WAN2 you could be sat there with a slow 0.5Mb connection over WAN2 when WAN1 or WAN3 could deliver 5Mb for you each and no-one else is even using those WANs.

Is there a way to configure the device to make better use of the available bandwidth across all 3 connections, so if one is running a bit slower it switches your zoom call or Netflix or whatever over onto the best WAN? Or continually spreads the routes the packets take across all 3? 

Thanks

Bushy

Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-R480T+ V2 - how to configure usage of multiple WANs properly
2021-05-11 12:56:40
Hi Bushy, have the same problem, live far from the city so depend on 4G signals... did you find a nice solution for this flacky solutions? :))
Options
2021-05-19 08:00:28

@grandonia 

You can try to follow this link to set up the load balance Router.

Why cannot I get multi-wan bandwidth aggregation test effect via speedtest.net by SMB router?

To me, this setting make my 2 WAN works at the same time.

And it also explained how load balance works.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-05-19 12:08:45

@Virgo thank you!! But what happens is that I have 2 connections (1 radio and 1 4G), the 4G is very unstable.... every 200MB of throughput, it goes down, then I have to restart the chip... this kind of messes everything up, or there is a problem with the load balance router itself that freezes sometimes... have to work on it, anyway, thank you so much for you help Virgo!!!

Options
2021-05-19 12:20:36

@grandonia 

Hi...

Sorry for the late reply... short answer, no I didn't find any magic solution to this... it's all fairly flakey.  I've now got 3 x 4g routers going into the load balancer from 02, vodafone and three.  Each of the individual connections seem to work ok most of the time, but when I go through the wifi mesh to the load balancer you get what you're given and if one of the individual connections is running slow and you're on that, you just get a slow connection, so half the time I just flick over to an individual connection directly, which is fine from my laptop, but not so easy on the smart TV.

One thing I did find though was Netflix is considerably better if you have the multi user / HD subscription vs the single user / SD subscription.  It seems counterintuitive but its almost like the Netflix app wasn't even trying to get any decent quality pulled down the line with the SD version, but with the HD one it seems to take be much much better quality.

Overall, the whole thing is a bit rubbish compared to what city folk get, but I guess it is what it is and part of the joys of living undisturbed in the middle of no-where.

Options
2021-05-19 12:37:58
Ha ha ha, you are right.... a flacky internet connection is a no brainer compared to living in a crowded place, I too prefer living here... was just wondering if the TL-R480T+ is really the best solution for it or if I should to for a more sophisticated solution like a Synolocy AC 2600 router https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jbpgX-9wDg thanks Bushy!!
Options
2021-05-23 08:03:54

@Bushy 

I suspect the problem you are facing (netflix video dropping to 0.5 mbps) may be due to the traffic going through the other WAN of the selected netflix server.  Please refer to the below diagram for a better understanding. 

Most of the video streaming providers hosts their cache servers at the edge of the internet. Its a joint effort between the ISPs and the video steaming companies.    The netflix (YT, FB also) will try to choose the server nearest to the content consumer based on the IP address from the where the request came from. There is a possibility that when you smart TV requested for a video, the request was sent through ISP1 and netflix selected the ISP1 cache server to serve the video. but when the smart TV makes the connection with ISP1's NF video server, the multi WAN router may route the request through ISP 2.  If the ISP1 & ISP2 do not have local peering or have bad routing between them (going through international gateways) ,  you may experience poor download speeds and hence poor video quality.    

So the solution is the make the Multi-WAN Router to route the traffic to the cache/CDN servers through the respective ISP WAN by configuring static routes.   The procedure for identifying the cache server is as below. (in brief) 

For each ISP,

1. Enable DNS Logging

2. Access fast.com 

3. From DNS logs find the URLs like .oca.nflxvideo.net

4. Identify the local servers from the URLs

5. Find the IP and configure the static route. 

Let me know if you are interested, I will post the detailed procedure for the same. (including YT, FB, AKAMAI)

If you find this too complex,  you can configure the router to route the smart TV's traffic through a specific WAN using the policy routing option.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1514

Replies: 6