Access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Access points
Access points
2021-01-23 04:56:47 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I am setting up a home Internet network for inside and outside the property.

I plan to have the router on the ground floor and run ethernet cables from there inside the walls to several rooms as well as outside for the garden.

I would like to know if several CPE210 units scattered around  would allow me to plug smart TV s , receive signal from wireless ip cctv as well as have seemless WiFi around the house as one network.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Access points
2021-01-24 10:43:19 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Kentria 

Hey

The CPE210 is a directional antenna and could be overkill for what you require, its more for sending a signal between 2x buildings at a distance or angle. 

If you are looking to have an internal/external network for home garden I would recommend looking towards the Omada SDN range, this could be a better option all round.

Just off the bat here...

TL-SG2428P  POE Switch

However many EAP245 / 620 you feel necessary for indoor needs

However many  EAP225-Outdoor for your garden

OC200 Controller to manage the lot

Gateway (R605 something like that) if you need one?

The POE switch should power all the APs for you and the controller will manage it all centrally.  You should also have seamless roaming and auto channel selection, the outdoor APs will work with the EAPs indoors to create a blanket of WiFi.    The controller will let you see exactly what is going on inside and out.. this will also alllow you to connect your cameras too

Options
2021-01-24 15:41:54 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Philbert 

Hello and thank you for your suggestion.

Because I am not a network expert and I am struggling to find one where I am, let me repeat to see if I understand what you are telling me with a question and one possible alternative if I understand well the idea.

You are saying use R605 as a router connected to a TL-SG2428P switch.

From there connect an OC200 controller and all the eap s with ethernet cables( i suppose the controller software will allow me to put controller and eap s on the same subnetwork).

Then you are suggesting eap225-outdoor for the garden for outdoors wifi and picking up ip cctv wirelessly (how many cameras can each such eap be connected to,  over what distance?)

For indoors can I use eap225-wall? I prefer it because it has three ethernet ports which allows me to connect up to two wired devices.

Options
2021-01-25 11:02:03 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Kentria 

Hello again

You are saying use R605 as a router connected to a TL-SG2428P switch.

Yes that is correct, the R605 is a WAN router so will plug between your current ISP router/modem and your LAN (the SG2428P switch).  The R605 is not a requirement, however if you are going to do this setup the ability to control WAN traffic could be beneficial

From there connect an OC200 controller and all the eap s with ethernet cables( i suppose the controller software will allow me to put controller and eap s on the same subnetwork).

Yes.  The controller will manage all the Access points (inside and out) and allow you to have then all on one SSID with load balancing and full roaming capabilities.  Just let the OC200 control everything for you, even channel selection

Then you are suggesting eap225-outdoor for the garden for outdoors wifi and picking up ip cctv wirelessly (how many cameras can each such eap be connected to,  over what distance?)

The 225 outdoor is just a weatherproof AP and should be able to handle 20 or camera each, depending on quality and usage.   This will work exactly like a stand access point so test the range you get when outdoors with your current AP and see what the result is.   They claim 200 meters range, even 100m should be ample im guessing?

For indoors can I use eap225-wall? I prefer it because it has three ethernet ports which allows me to connect up to two wired devices.

That would work just as well yes.   Also a bit visually neater.

The use of the TL-SG2428P will allow you to run the Access Points via POE so you wont need a separate cable for power..  just use the CAT5/6 cable you are running already.  Makes things easier and tidier

excuse the very quick example below, but this is what im suggesting (hope it makes sense).  The connections in RED would be POE (power over ethernet) BLUE are standard connections. 

Hope that helps!

P.S.  If you are going to do this then note that before you start to connect the APs and adopt them; update the controller to the latest version of the SDN.   Currently this is v4.2.8    If the OC200 comes with v3.x.x  its a manual update to v4.x.x

You will need v4 of the SDN software to get this working fully and best of luck

Options
2021-01-25 13:25:36 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Philbert

Thank you very much for your advice. 

Now I know my vision is doable.

Now for the easy part.......put it to practice. 

Options
2021-01-25 13:36:32 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Kentria 

Best of luck to you and have fun playing with all the new hardware yes  cool

Options
2021-01-26 18:26:40 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Philbert 

Sorry Philbert for coming back but I have read something in a technical discussion that confused me.

I always intended of having the router on the ground floor and the access points on other levels and outside the home because I thought the router itself will be more than adequate for WiFi coverage on the ground floor.

Some people are saying I should switch wifi off from the router and have an access point on the ground floor too.

Does this make sense to you because it doesn't to me.

Options
2021-01-26 22:40:16 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Kentria 

Hey

Yes definately recommend you turn the router WiFi off  -  You would be better buying an additional AP for near the router for your ground floor

I would advise using only the Omada APs for WiFi, you dont have to do this.. however there is a few advantages to be had

1. The Omada is a business grade device and will generally perform better

2. The controller cant "control" the WiFi on the router, therefore its not fully part of the rest of the network.  Advantages like seamless roaming, band steering and SDN management will be lost on devices connected to the Router WiFi.   

3.  If you go for a gateway (the TL-R605 or similar) your WAN router will be on a seperate network from your LAN, segmented by the gateway.  This adds an additional level of security for you by seperating your LAN and WAN, using the R605 as a gateway device between them (I have mine setup this way).   For example the router can be on a 192.168.10.x  range and LAN on a 192.168.1.x range.  Therefore anything connected to the WAN router would get a 10.x   IP where the rest on Omada are getting a 1.x  IP.  Let your Gateway be the DHCP server for your LAN

Another one of my diagrams below  (sorry)  :)

Options
2021-01-27 08:07:18 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Philbert 

OK, I don't pretend to understand where the advantage of separating WAN and LAN is but you certainly sound like you know what is talking about and I will follow your advice.

Options
2021-01-27 10:30:14 - last edited 2021-02-20 06:01:53

@Kentria 

Hey again

As mentioned there is no requirement specifically to separate the WAN from the LAN via a gateway, its more a recommendation should you later want do devide your networks up.

By this I mean different IP Addresses and SSIDs for the Camera, Laptop, Alexa/Google device etc.   I get the impression you have quite a few device and the gateway might offer you better control over them if you feel that is necessary, its also not an expensive device.

However if you think that it is not required, all you need really is the Switch, APs and controller to make your plan work.   The router is just an "optional extra"   :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 632

Replies: 9

Related Articles