TL-R605: Treatment of multiple WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-20 11:07:19
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've just started reconfiguring my network with Omada products. I've got three WAN connections; one T-Mobile Home Internet and two DSL lines (I live in a rural area where all three connections are flaky). Previously I was using a Peplink Balance router which handled three WAN connections. I moved to the Omada in part because I'm hoping to add Starlink to the mix, so handling four WANs was useful. I also wanted the integrated EAP/Router interface that I get with the controller.

So my question/observation; the multi-wan support on the TL-R605 feels like a bit of an afterthought. I'm not seeing a great way to monitor real-time usage of each WAN link, nor an easy way to set rules like:

My laptop uses DSL link 1, but falls back to DSL link 2 and then T-Mobile

My wife's laptop uses DSL link 2, but falls back to DSL link 1 and then T-Mobile

The TV uses all three connections, but is lower priority than other devices

Is there a configuration section I'm just not finding that allows this? The only policies I'm seeing supported are a vague "weighting" policy, and then a primary/fallback policy but these seem to apply on a global basis. I don't see a way to specify different policies based on MAC address, or source/dest IP addresses.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-R605: Treatment of multiple WAN
2021-04-02 16:37:40
I also live in a rural area and did have a ADSL and a FTTC had been using a Draytek router which allows rules to balance the load and fallback. But recently paid for Fibre to the Premises to be installed and now have 700 down 70 up but still using the Draytek router which has a max throughput of 300 mbps so bought a new TP-Link system only to now find the router doesn't support multiple Public IP's (I have 4 static IP's with my FTTP) so I'm still stuck with the Old Draytek - can't believe TP-Link doesn't support multiple IP's for a business system
Options
Re:TL-R605: Treatment of multiple WAN
2021-04-02 17:36:51

I spent way too much time trying to get the R605 to manage multiple WANs in a sane fashion, but ultimately gave up and purchased a newer Balance router (Balance One). In stock config it can handle 3 WAN connections with 600Mbps throughput, or if you enable 6 WAN connections the throughput drops to 400Mbps. Until TP-Link chooses to really support multiple WAN connections you might find that Peplink works well for you. The configuration options for the router are far better than what the R605 offers at this point.

My previous Peplink (Balance 30) was in service for ~10 years, and still gets updates and new features, they do a great job supporting their products.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1042

Replies: 2

Related Articles