EAP245v3 wireless mesh implementation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-08 18:45:17
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I apologize if the information is available on the website, but I couldn't find it.

In a 2-AP scenario, with one root AP and one mesh AP, how is the backhauling of traffic implemented between the 2 APs?

I don't see any mention of dedicated radio or band to avoid the performance hit due to using the same radio/band to receive traffic from stations and then forwarding it to the wired node.

Does anyone have experience with this configuration? Is it usable? What performance can we expect when connected to the mesh AP?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP245v3 wireless mesh implementation
2021-03-08 21:53:21

Hi @DanMesh,

Welcome!  Indeed I have many posts on this (most in 2020).  So you're saying two total EAP245V3's?  One ethernet connected and one MESH?

That is a little different from my MESH setup, I have two Ethernet-connected EAP245V's and two MESH-connected EAP225-Outdoors (one per Root Node).

MESH is implemented using the 5GHz Wifi radio only.  What I have observed for my setup, as a very rough rule of thumb, is there is roughly a 50% reduction in real throughput for each wireless hop based on the air link rate of said hop.

So, for example:

1) 2x2 Wifi5 client (iPhone XSM) connected to EAP245V3 directly.  Air link rate 866 MBit/sec.  Actual throughput ~350-500 Mbit/sec

2) 2x2 Wifi5 client (EAP225-Outdoor) connected to EAP245V3 directly -- ethernet connected speed test PC connected to EAP225-OD for testing.  Actual throughput ~350-500 Mbit/sec

3) 2x2 Wifi5 client (iPhone XSM) connected to EAP225-OD via Wifi, which is in turn, MESHED to EAP245V3.  (aka 2 hops).   Actual throughput ~110-170 Mbit/sec

Or in other words, if all air links were negotiated at 866 Mbit/sec, two hops would give you a maximum theoretical throughput of, at most, 1/4 of the link rate:

866 * 0.5 * 0.5 = 216 Mbit/sec (I've seen up to ~170 Mbit/sec max with mine).

Now your case is somewhat different from mine.  Because EAP245V3 to EAP245V3 via MESH is a 4x4 scenario -- Aka AC1750.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone bench test this.  Theoretically, it should be better than what I am seeing.

Your MESH backhaul real throughput should be roughly 867 Mbit/sec (assuming a pristine airlink of ~1734).  So devices connected via Ethernet to the second AP should see speeds up to this speed.  Wireless clients connected to the second AP should see about half that -- or roughly 433 Mbit/sec.

Good luck!  Keep us posted,

Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 1

Related Articles