Omada SDN Controller - WAN Failover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-16 19:56:04
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Recently upgraded from ER-X and Orbi setup to Omada SDN with 4x EAP245/225 and TL-R605 router

By and large happy, especially with the wireless performance but some of the settings for the gateway have me confused.

1) WAN failover 

I would prefer to use WAN1 as primary at all times with a switchover to WAN2 if WAN1 fails

I understand that Link Backup needs to be enabled. However I cannot understand the difference between the two backup mode options (Link Backup vs Always link primary).

2) DNS Settings: I need to setup a single static host mapping on the LAN i.e. a domain that resolves to a single IP on the LAN. I cannot find ay option to do so - or for that matter do anything pertaining to how name resolution works on the gateway

3) Blocking Internet to specific IPs or MAC addresses: I need to block Internet access to certain IoT device but I do not want to put them on a separate VLAN. Is it possible to block Internet access to specific devices on Omada?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada SDN Controller - WAN Failover
2021-04-18 10:39:37

Just an update that I was able to figure out an answer for Qn 3

The ACL settings allowed for firewalling by IP groups

However, the configuration setting for IP groups is a little confusing as the group entries are called IP subnets

However the UI allows for entry of single IP addresses as well

I still have not been able to figure out the difference between Link Backup/ Always Link primary 
Or how the DNS works   

Options
2021-04-19 20:42:10

ANother update on WAN failover

I wanted my entire traffic to go through WAN1 and ignore WAN2/WAN 3 etc if WAN1 is up

Both the failover modes gave me issues related to switchover time.

I eventually resorted to removing all Load balancing / failover features and created a policy routing rule that routes all traffic from LAN to any IP via WAN1

Said page has an option to enable "Use the other WAN port if the current one is down"

This seems to be working much better than the default failover method and the switchover time is just a few seconds - wish it could have been better but I can live with this 

Love the hardware - but the TPL documentation team surely leaves a lot to be desired

Options
2021-10-08 00:05:45

@abhi182 did you managed to find the difference between Link Backup and Always link primary? 

Options