Blacklist a group of sites? EG: parental controls?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-20 22:42:47 - last edited 2021-04-22 09:37:49

I recently purchased a TL-R605 router, a EAP225 AP,  and a Linux pc for the Omada site sw controller.

I am in the process of setting up the system. I have configured the PC with Controller Version:4.2.11

and it is working.

I see "settings" , "Network Security" , "URL Filtering"  in the menu,  But....

is there a way to use a list / blacklist of unwanted sites. or enable some sort of  "parental controls"  like  you can on the  consumer router this is replacing?

I see I can enter individual sites, but that could take all week. :-)

Maybe a keyword filter also?

Thanks for any input.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Blacklist a group of sites? EG: parental controls?-Solution
2021-04-21 00:05:45 - last edited 2021-04-22 09:37:49

@tbird636 

The easiest is to use a free DNS service that filters content. Just google "kid friendly dns server"  OpenDNS is the name of one service and you can either use the standard service or a customizably service. Both are free.

You can also run a local DNS server on a computer/server locally and have the router direct devices to the server. The typical one is called pihole, but there are others.  This would allow you to use predefined or custom block lists.  

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Blacklist a group of sites? EG: parental controls?-Solution
2021-04-21 00:05:45 - last edited 2021-04-22 09:37:49

@tbird636 

The easiest is to use a free DNS service that filters content. Just google "kid friendly dns server"  OpenDNS is the name of one service and you can either use the standard service or a customizably service. Both are free.

You can also run a local DNS server on a computer/server locally and have the router direct devices to the server. The typical one is called pihole, but there are others.  This would allow you to use predefined or custom block lists.  

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1005

Replies: 1