Multi-LAN support ? DMZ and Guest and LAN networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-24 15:48:12 - last edited 2021-04-26 17:58:32
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

I deal with several restaurants and am looking to remove Ubiquiti hardware. I've used alot of TP-Link gear before and like this Omada stuff.

BUT

It dosen't look like Multi-Lan is supported ? only with VLANs ?  this is very odd to me

EXAMPLE: the TL-R605 is a 6 port router ( 1 Dedicated WAN, 1 Dedicated LAN, 3 flex ). I would like to have the WAN/LAN ports be separate LANs ( say VoIP, POS, LAN2 ). 

WITHOUT USING VLANs, VLANs are cool, but low-skill people can get very confused, and simple switches with labels like "WiFi network" and "VoIP" network work so much better than a big switch with VLANs and the remote hands person can't figure out what port does what or where to plug the cable in.

the Omada  has options like "port isolation" . But will not allow more than subnet to share the same VLAN id. 

in the image below, how do i get those "LANs" on VLAN id 1 so any device that get plugged in will work with out any configuration 

Lan is the LAN port, POS is the WAN/LAN3 port, VoIP is the WAN/LAN2 port.

EDIT: in the picture below. I DO NOT WANT the VLAN tags. that is what i am trying to get rid of. i want more simple, just ports and switches with different subnets.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Multi-LAN support ? DMZ and Guest and LAN networks
2021-04-25 15:19:16

@Sirmonkey 

You can have dedicated switches labeled with the network designation (POS, VOIP, LAN) for ease of local support people.  To accomplish this leave everything wired as you described and just tag the ports on the switch with the desired network/vlan.  Then if the local support person wanted to add a POS device, they could plug the device in to the POS switch and the device would receive the subnet for POS devices 192.168.45.XX.  Each switch would get an IP address from the router on 192.168.0.xx.

This is different than configuration using Ubiquiti, but do you see other issues with this approach? I guess the local support person couldn't replace a failed switch without configuration, but this should be rare event and Omada allows remote configuration. 

The router is vlan aware, but currently can only DHCP on one/default subnet.  The LAN ports on the router act as an unmanaged switch, except they understand traffic with vlan tags and other subnets.

Options
Re:Multi-LAN support ? DMZ and Guest and LAN networks
2021-04-26 17:57:13 - last edited 2021-04-26 18:04:44

Thank you for the response. you understand my simple idea :-).  You are right. but i have taken it to the next level. the router is the only thing that is Special. The rest of the hardware is generic parts. hopefully TP-Link, but if its an emergency, parts from office depot/best buy.  with my Ubiquiti setup i'm actully useing alot of those $16 tp-link switches from microcenter, i think i have bought ~15 so far this year. 

Yea I gues i am confused. when you put a port into WAN most it almost does what i want.  but dosen't seem to work that way.. I can't add different subnets with out VLAN. To add another subnet i have to tag it as a different VLAN. I can't ( or haven't figured out how to have the ports be their own subnet. )

This is where the configuration becomes an issue. Example. I drop ship a new phone. Ask them to send me a picture of the sticker on the back ( so i can get the MAC and provission the phone )  and then plug the phone in.... Never do i have to configure a VLAN tag on the phone ( or POS system, or Lan devices)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1516

Replies: 2

Related Articles