VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VPN
VPN
2021-05-21 10:48:26 - last edited 2021-05-21 10:55:55
Model: TL-ER6120  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.2 Build 20200313 Rel.47458

Hi We have a situation here in the office where we have set up the Access control on our router so that only specific IPs can connect remotely to a server we have on the network,

We would like to set up a VPN connection on the router itself to see if it would be possible to allow users to connect on the server using a remote desktop connection even if their IP address is not in the list for example in situations where the user will be moving from one place to the other?

We don't know if:

a. It is possible to do so on this router

b. how to set it up if it is in fact possible

It works how it is at the moment however the issue here is that it is a bit annoying to keep adding new IPs all the time when a user keeps changing IPs or doesn't have a fixed IP at home so a VPN would be our best option so that all users need to have the VPN on to connect to the server through RDP.

Im quite new about setting up VPN connections so not sure how it can be done.

Options
9 Reply
Re:VPN
2021-05-25 03:43:08

@DarrenM89 Hi there, if you set up a VPN on this router when the clients connecting to the VPN, it also needs to put in the username and password to connect to the VPN. Not all the device can connect to your VPN. There has no such option to use the ACL to make a specific IP address that can connect to VPN cause the IP address of Clients will change all the time.

On their website, they have the detailed instruction on how to set up the PPTP or L2TP VPN on the router. The PPTP is easy to set up and the L2TP is more secure.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2158/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2159/

After you finish the setup on PC, you also need to configure on the remote computer to connect to VPN.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1629/

Options
2021-05-25 07:46:05

@John1234 

THanks a lot also one more question if you don't mind, I have those settings set up now for L2DP however do i need to set up anything else on the server where the users need to connect to or will they just connect to the whole network through VPN?

Options
2021-05-31 15:13:34

@John1234 

I am asking because when i set it up using the instructions provided in the link i am getting this when i try to connect:

Options
2021-06-01 09:07:41

@DarrenM89 

I have added a PDF to see what i have set up on the router maybe i did something wrong can anyone check please?

File:
vpn.pdfDownload
Options
2021-06-04 00:01:42

@DarrenM89 I am getting the same thing with L2TP on my Windows 10 machine, but I can connect successfully to PPTP on that same machine.

Options
2021-06-04 00:44:23 - last edited 2021-06-04 00:48:49

@DarrenM89 Look into DDNS, it is a clever way of dealing with keeping track of changing IP addresses. It is a separate independent service that simply let's you specify a unique url for a person's IP address. Then, specify the DDNS URL in both that person's router settings (with a time period such as every 30 minutes or every hour) and the DDNS URL in the settings for the VPN on the VPN provider's website and in your VPN settings representing the user (instead of their ip address). The user's router will make a call to the DDNS service every 30 or 60 minutes (as previously specified) to update the IP address associated with that url by that ddns provider (whether it had actually changed or not). When the VPN authenticates the person logging in, it should use that url as well instead of the IP address. Then when adding people to the VPN, don't use their ip addresses but instead their unique ddns url (which will always translate to the correct ip because their routers are keeping the IP addresses updated). Also note, you can make the beginning of that url something easily identifiable like the person's name or employee number. Note, for the "noip" ddns service that is supported by the TL-ER7206 router, for $24.95 / year you can have up to 25 of these url / ip address pairings. Hope that helps!

Options
2021-06-25 14:19:01

@Luds Thanks a lot for that i will pass on all information to the users that will be moving from place to place to see if they can set it up.

My ultimate question is that still L2DP still doesn't want to connect no matter what i tried. PPTP works fine but L2DP nothing.

Options
2021-09-09 21:11:32 - last edited 2021-09-10 20:17:33

Sometimes users lack the knowledge to unlock the full potential of a VPN. Some premium services offer technical features that are difficult for untrained people to understand. Technical terms along with software and hardware protocols further complicate things. If you don't know the basics of VPN technology, you're unlikely to be able to use it properly. However, providers are constantly looking for new approaches to improve and simplify the user interface to make VPN capabilities available to everyone. That's why I like to use the accessible and proven https://vpncoffee.com/clearvpn-review/, which is easy to use.

Options
2021-09-09 22:48:52

@DarrenM89 I ran into the same type of error message and it drive me nuts. My settings were actually correct, I just wasn't routing any of the traffic through the VPN I had set up. I had separate troubleshooting sessions first with TP-Link, then my VPN provider, then again with tp-link. But my issue was setting up the von itself, not sure why you are setting up a user there. Also do you have a routing policy to point your clients to the vpn? Not sure what you are trying to do here...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1133

Replies: 9

Related Articles