How to get VPN to block ads with Pi-Hole

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-26 22:11:57
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.01

So my Pi-hole block ads while I am connected to my wifi, but when I connect through the VPN (OpnVPN) it does not block, how do I redirect my vpn IP's 10.x.x.x through the Pi-hole 192.168.x.x...

Options
6 Reply
Re:How to get VPN to block ads with Pi-Hole
2021-07-01 14:00:50
So, seems like TP-Link has hard coded 8.8.8.8 as the default DNS for the vpn in the ER605, I will wait until I am able to put in my own DNS IP vs using Google's.
Options
2021-07-02 08:02:30

@KLX 

Under the Network > WAN, you could manually input your DNS address.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-07-02 11:56:51

@Virgo @Fae  I actually have my preferred IP in that section, the problem is the VPN does not set that IP as the 1st DNS server to use. It sets it as the second, I checked the logs of my VPN client, the 1st DNS IP used is 8.8.8.8 and my custom IP is second. Hopefully an update will remove the hard coded Google IP. 

Options
2021-11-12 18:40:38

Has there been any change on this, the latest controller software and firmware for the firewall, still uses by default google's DNS 8.8.8.8...

Options
2021-11-15 05:06:13

@KLX 

For OpenVPN you can edit the OpenVPN settings file before sending it to your device. 

open the file with a text editor (notepad, notepad++) and you can add in your dns settings. I'll try to upload an example what you need to type in it. 

Options
2021-11-15 09:56:53

@hightechredneck Thanks for the update, I have the file open, the problem is the router is hard coded to send it's gateway IP and 8.8.8.8 default for DNS when I add my pi-hole IP it gets placed 3rd on the list ( according to the log on the app on the client device. @Fae mentioned that there should have been an update to manually change the DNS in version 5, but nothing has changed yet. 

By the way the PI-hole works great for clients within the network....just not with Openvpn clients. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1329

Replies: 6