Intermitted disconnects EAP620 HD(EU)/EAP225-Outdoor(EU) to Sonoff/Shelly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-26 22:24:06 - last edited 2021-05-27 02:10:29
Model: Archer A2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.0 (AX1800/EAP629 HD)

I intended to replace my Fortinet AP’s (2x 221 and 1x224) to improve performance, robustness, reliability. With TP-Link I thought I found the solution.

I have 2 EAP620 HD(EU) and 1 EAP225-Outdoor(EU) AP…. I created 3 SSID’s (exactly the same way I had on the Fortinet, with corresponding VLAN’s) terminating on Fortiswitch and Fortigate 60E.

When I migrated my guest and primary network everything seemed to be ok.

The problems started when I migrated my IoT/domotica network with 4 Shelly’s and 23 Sonoff (mini running Tasmota 9.2.0-9.3.1). It manifested by intermitted disconnecting of the 27 devices: I have a screen (TasmoAdmin) that shows all devices and their state. It shows disconnecting devices for minutes and then reconnecting.

I tried EVERYTHING:

• Ensuring all times in the network come from the same source and DST is enabled both on Site and Wireless level
  • Disabling 5GHz on the IoT-network
  • Disabling Fast Roaming, AI Roaming, Dual Band 11k, Force Disassociation and Band Steering
  • Checking and rechecking FW-rules

with no result.

So, I moved the IoT-network back to 1 Fortinet AP 221E…. problems solved, network stable and I did this 2 times… 2 times the same result!

There is something in the TP-Link WiFi that doesn’t work with Sonoff AND with Shelly… (maybe with the ESP that’s used internally?).

To wave the problem as “the supplier of the switch’s problem” is oversimplifying the issue here: I’ve moved the IoT/domotica network back and everything works like a charm.

Please advice.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Intermitted disconnects EAP620 HD(EU)/EAP225-Outdoor(EU) to Sonoff/Shelly
2021-06-01 02:38:54

@F-BOS 

I had the same problems with the 660 (firmware 1.0.5) and HomeKit devices using WiFi. It's seems to be an issue with multicast traffic with the 660 (620 has the same fw). All of my WiFi HomeKit devices would only work in their corresponding app but not via HomeKit or any of the homepods. Eventually, after device reboots HomeKit only showed my Ethernet connected Apple TV's and could not connect with any HomePod, MyQ, Aqara, etc.

I replaced the 2 660's with my old EAP 245v3's and voila, I went back to seeing all 34 HomeKit hubs instead of just the 11 wired Apple TV's and all of my automations between WiFi devices started working again.

Basically, your eap225-outdoors are probably fine (I have 2 of them) but until the 620/660 get fixed firmware, I wouldn't expect anything that relies on multicast (and probably broadcast traffic) to work reliably...

Options
2021-06-03 09:15:39

I have same ESP8266 based IOT and EAP660HD (EU) and all connected to dedicated  2.4GHz Wifi without any issues. Around ~10 devices.

Options
2021-06-16 18:29:54

@F-BOS 

Sorry for my absence.. it just took a while.... fixing the engine of a moving car in a household with 4 females just takes a while.

Based on Alex’ response I terminated ALL multicast traffic and VOILA… quiet and stable!

So, a sure thing it's multi-case flodding the network.

Thanks for your replies, ticket.subject can be closed.

KR,

F

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1447

Replies: 3