[VLAN Routing] Unable to use my Aerohive AP250 when connected to switch!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-01 03:19:56
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have my TL-SG2008P v1.0 (fw 1.0.1) connected to a ISP provided modem.

192.168.0.1 (Gateway/Modem) > 192168.0.11 (Switch) > 2x AP250 (Aerohive AP's) & unRaid Server on Ports 1-7.

I can use my AP's if they are powered by PoE brick and connected to my ISP provided router. But as soon as they are plugged into the switch the radios on AP's are turned off which is a default behavior when they can't reach internet.

I tried to power them through the PoE adaptor and plug it in the switch but they still can't reach internet.So that rules out any bugs in the power delivery part of the switch

The confusing bit is that all the other devices connected into switch are working normally.All the traffic on AP's is also routed on VLAN1 and I only have a single subnet that's active.

Options
7 Reply
Re:[VLAN Routing] Unable to use my Aerohive AP250 when connected to switch!
2021-06-01 06:59:34

Dear @mAYH3M,

mAYH3M wrote

But as soon as they are plugged into the switch the radios on AP's are turned off which is a default behavior when they can't reach internet.

Not sure if I understand it correctly, do you mean that the AP250s still broadcast WiFi signals but just clients connected without Internet access? If yes, what IP addresses do the clients obtain from the AP250s WiFi (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz)?

From the screenshots you provided, it seems that one AP250 is connected to Port2 of the switch, how about the other AP250?

Could you please also provide the LAN->Profile config for checking?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-06-01 07:11:45

@Fae 

Currently only 1 AP is connected as the other one is connected through the ISP router so I can have internet access. 

The AP250 radios are turned off if no internet connection is detected on eth0 or eth01.So when I connect to the switch the radios are turned off and SSID isn't broadcasted.

Options
2021-06-01 07:17:21

Options
2021-06-03 11:49:53

I think the switch is stripping tags from VLAN1 traffic as the AP's use tagged VLAN1.

Any workaround so that the switch leaves tagged VLAN1 traffic as it is instead of treating all traffic on VLAN 1 as untagged.

Options
2021-06-04 04:33:23

Dear @mAYH3M,

mAYH3M wrote

I think the switch is stripping tags from VLAN1 traffic as the AP's use tagged VLAN1.

Yes, it will remove the tag from VLAN1 traffic as VLAN1 is the default VLAN on the switch and it's untagged.

Any workaround so that the switch leaves tagged VLAN1 traffic as it is instead of treating all traffic on VLAN 1 as untagged.

If the AP250 can only get Internet access from tagged VLAN1, the easier way is to manage the switch in Standalone mode (without the Omada Controller) and configure the VLAN1 by selecting the Ports (connected to the AP and ISP Router) as Tagged Ports.

But if you have to use the Omada Controller to manage the switch, you may create a new LAN instead.

Here I give you an example for reference.

1. Go to Wired Networks -> LAN -> Networks, click "Create New LAN". Here we name the new LAN as "VLAN2" and set VLAN as 2:

2. Go to Wired Networks -> LAN -> Profile, click "Create New Port Profile". Here we name it as "tag VLAN1", select the VLAN2 (the new LAN created above) as Native Network and select LAN (the VLAN1) as Tagged Network.

3. Go to Wired Networks -> LAN -> Switch Settings, assign the port profile accordingly.

For the Ports connected to the AP250 and ISP Router, change the profile to "tag VLAN1"(the new port profile created above) .

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-06-05 04:44:01 - last edited 2021-06-07 14:28:22

That didn't work in the cloud interface.

But I just reset my ER7206 and TL-SG2008P to standalone mode.Both the access points worked out-of-the box without making any changes.

Also it's so much easier to setup VLAN's in the standalone m,ode.

It's sad that the extra $100 spent on the hardware controller didn't make things easier but more confusing and hard.

Cheers!

edit: Might have to return the product as the whole intention was to manage the gear through cloud!

Options
2021-06-11 08:07:44 - last edited 2021-06-11 08:11:18

I have narrowed it down to LLDP.

Enabling it on AP port profiles breaks the VLAN's which in turn stops the WiFi from working.Tested with the controller and in the standalone mode.

This works but as soon I enable LLDP-MED,everything falls apart on the access point side of things.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1356

Replies: 7