TL-SG2210MP not powering an EAP245v3 with POE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-04 18:35:10 - last edited 2021-06-04 22:53:19
Model: SG2210MP  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have tried to power an AP over a 6 meter long cable and I cannot power it using TL-SG2210MP ports.

I have checked the specifications for POE:

Switch 

• Standard: 802.3at/af compliant

EAP245V3 

• 802.3af/A PoE  

• 48V Passive PoE (+4,5pins; -7,8pins. PoE Adapter Included)

Tried with 3 cables, 1) a premade 5m FTP cat5E, 2) a 6m cable made by me using a FTP cat5E (solid copper 300 MHz bandwith, it's basically a cat6) and 3) a 0.5 UTP cat5E patch cord.

- with cables 1) and 2) I cannot power the EAP from the switch, but I can power them using the supplied injector (they pass connection test on all pairs and they are good on network mode and they also pass POE fine with the injector)

- with the 3) - patch cord - I can power the device both from the swithc and from the POE injector.

I have connected the switch in standalone mode and made slot 8 from the switch high priority POE and tried to connect the FTP cables to that slot, but still, no resolve. 

What gives?

I think the injector is using 48V Passive Poe but when I use the switch it is unable to negociate power with the device. what can I do, or what am I doing wrong? I am kind of bummed in spending so much money on the switch without having the posibility to actually use it.

LE: got tired and just used the POE injector, but when connecting the data port from the injector to the switch nothing happen and I cannot establish a wired connection with the AP. Tried with both cables, premade and custom, nothing. If I remove the same patch cord from the injector and insert it in an laptop I have a network connection, no problem. the same with the other two cables. 

the only way to have a wired connection is with the short patch cable.  this is truly maddening!

In port 4 I have a gigabit connection with the laptop. The same cable (cable 2 , premade purchased cat5E FTP) cannot give POE to the EAP. in the port 6 I have the UTP path cord with the EAP.  the link is only yellow 100 Mbps.

next step I remove the patch cord from port 6 and EAP, insert it in slot 5 and the laptop and the controller shows gigabit connection,

Should I be worried? RMA the EAP? First EAP works fine with an injector and a 15m cat 5e FTP T568B terminated cable (300 MHz, solid copper same as the 2) cable used with the second AP and also has gigabit connection.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-SG2210MP not powering an EAP245v3 with POE
2021-06-05 19:47:11

Since there are no replies I think RMA is the obvious solution. 

Since the cables can pass the network at gigabit and can only pass passive POE, I think the EAP has some problems at the RJ45 port, because the injector cannot pass network and poe at the same time. 

switch could pass poe and network but at a limited 100 Mbps so it's as if the cables had been faulty or badly terminated, which is not the case when talking about premade wires.

Hope to remember to edit a reply if the RMA will solve this.

Options
2021-06-08 06:13:49

@userNAC 

The EAP can only get power from a very short cate 5e cable and the negotiation speed is abnormal.

How about when you using POE injector and then log in its web management page to check the port? Also try to connect as "EAP--POE injector--switch" and check the port rate on controller?

Another cable is advised but I think trying three cables is enough. Prefer to get an RMA for EAP.

Options
2021-06-08 08:05:43

@John1234 thank you for the reply. It's too late now to check as I have made a ticket to support and let them know that the EAP would be returned for the warranty service. 

As for the switch, the port wouldn't light up at all if I would connect the data port from the injector, as if nothing was connected. I have logged in with the standalone switch's management page and nothing would appear no matter the port I would connect. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1207

Replies: 3

Related Articles