SMTP Email Server Not Working - Omada Cloud Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-09 15:22:03 - last edited 2021-06-09 15:24:48
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

I am attempting to configure the Omada Cloud Controller and I am unable to get the email service working with Gmail.

I have been working at this for an hour and have verified that the settings work in other mail clients.

I have created a specific gmail address for this purpose. I have enabled "Less Secure Apps". I have created an app password specifically for Omada. However, when 2-factor authentication is turned off, the ability to create app passwords is removed. So with 2-step verification enabled in gmail, I can create an app password, but cannot turn on "Less secure apps". With 2-step verification disabled, I cannot create an app password, but I can turn on "Less secure apps".

Please advise.

EDIT: I have also attempted to configure it with a Yahoo! account and am encountering the same error. Created an authorized application password. No change. It would be nice if it would show you what is actually failing in the sending action.

Options
18 Reply
Re:SMTP Email Server Not Working - Omada Cloud Controller
2021-06-10 09:18:10

@Netbug 

I find that has a related solution and the walk through instrucion on this link, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2919/

Options
2021-06-10 12:24:27

@John1234 Thanks for the suggestion, unfortuantely, I have tried all of these as mentioned in the original message, to no avail. Support recommended I try smtp relay service from gmail, however, that is only available for Google Workspace accounts.

There is no reason that I can see why Gmail nor Yahoo! Mail authorized app passwords would not work as they work in all other instances that I have tried. And it's IMMENSLY frustrating that the addition of Cloud Administrators has to be done through the email service on the device/controller rather than through the TP-Link Omada systems notification service.

Options
2021-06-10 14:11:52

@Netbug Have you actually logged in to the gmail account and used it to send and receive an email normally? As it is a new account they may be blocking other use of it until used.

Options
2021-06-10 14:38:33

@JP77 Yes, I initially tried it with my personal account. No go. Then I tried a Yahoo! account. No go. Then I set up a new Gmail account. No go.

As pretty as the Omada system is, it's not very clear on it's errors. Like, it just says the email failed. It doesn't say why it failed. And it's coming back really quickly, so it doesn't feel like an authentication error; it feels like it's not reaching the server. I wish it would tell me if it couldn't reach the server, if authentication failed, if the server stopped responding, etc.

Options
2021-06-10 14:44:35

@Netbug Have you tried sending the test email to a different address other than the sending address?

Options
2021-06-10 15:33:43

@JP77 Yes, I have. I tried my personal gmail account, my yahoo account, and my brother's gmail account. All are generating the failed message. :(

Options
2021-06-10 20:41:50

@Netbug Hello,

working this setting:

SMTP: aspmx.l.google.com

port: 25 (without SSL)

authentication: yes

sent test email to - must be any gmail.com

Options
2021-06-10 21:26:55

@PavelV Thanks very much. Unfortunately, same error. Literally the exact settings you posted. Tested with both the app password and the regular password. Something very strange going on here.

Options
2021-06-10 21:37:49

@Netbug After test I received email from gmail "A less secure application has been blocked" In account is necessary allow this less secure applications.

Options
2021-06-10 21:54:52
Username and Sender addres do you have the same? "Send Test email to" must be different gmail address.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4872

Replies: 18