Power consumption of TL-SG108E V*

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-13 14:49:20
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello. :)

I am considering buying a switch for my network.

I mostly want the simplest operations (those that any switch provides), but I wouldn't mind at all spending a bit more money and getting one with VLAN+QoS support from a "semi managed"/smart switch.
What I do mind however, is the energy consumption, since it will be running for a long time (indefinitely if it is possible) and that can make a difference. In my decision-making at least...

So, I am a bit stuck and undecided between TP-LINK TL-SG1005D V8 and TL-SG108E.
For sure, I would love playing with the advanced options of the 2nd, but on the long term I am not sure I want its extra power consumption.

In the specs for all the switches there is a max power consumption specification, but there is not much information on how that varies from usage to usage.

E.g., I would like to know how low the consumption can go.
If there is only one Ethernet cable plugged into it, will the consumption of TL-SG108E (max consumption=3.68 W) be closer to the TL-SG1005D V8 (max consumption=2.4W)?

Or the consumption will always be higher than that of TL-SG1005D V8 no matter what I do?

(assuming the traffic is the same for the comparison)

If both switches have the same amount of cables connected to them and both receive the same traffic, will they consume the same power?

Any hints are welcome.

And thank you in advance! :)

Irrelevant note:

The page here is broken: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/8-port-switch/tl-sg108e/#specifications

The version dropdown and the Specifications link do not work.

Irrelevant note #2: I am a bit disappointed, as many others, that the TL-SG108E does not support encryption and VLAN restrictions for its management web-interface, but I guess that is how the manufacturer wants it to be... But those could have been added with a firmware upgrade, so it feels that competition among switch companies is not working as it should... Not sure if the non-web management interface is using encryption, but I guess not...

Options
2 Reply
Re:Power consumption of TL-SG108E V*
2021-06-17 09:11:13
If you need VLAN+QoS features, I think TL-SG108E is more appropriate because it has web interface to configure these feature, but TL-SG1005D doesn't have web interface. As for the power consumption, I'm a little curious about how you want to use it. I don't think 2.4W and 3.7W have a lot of differences. They both are not too high. Of course, if you have one device plugging in and multiple devices plugging in, the consumption will be different. And if you have different traffic running, the consumption will also be different. So I think it's difficult to calculate the minimum consumption. For your note, I don't know what's wrong with your link, but mine is working fine: https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg108e/v5/#overview Only some managed switches have management VLAN as it is designed for more professional users.
Options
Re:Power consumption of TL-SG108E V*
2021-06-18 11:23:56

@Somnus 

Initially I was going for the TL-SG108E with much excitement, but once I realized its management interface was using HTTP and it was accessible on all VLANs I got disappointed a bit, because even my home's ISP router uses HTTPS and I found it weird for a business switch not to.

I will connect 3-4 PCs on it, most of which will not be active 24/7. I need to isolate some of them from the others, that’s why I need the VLAN support (there are some machines with high-risk to be hacked in my network and some devices that should be kept safe at all costs).

But after I noticed the shortcomings of TL-SG108E I started thinking whether I should buy a simple unmanaged switch for now (because I really need a switch asap…) and later buy a more expensive one, with VLANs support, once I do my research. Because, what protection do VLANs provide when everyone (from all VLANs) can log into the switch (e.g. by brute force, by capturing network traffic from the login page and stealing the credentials, and who knows what else…) and change the VLAN configuration?

I don’t want if for a home application, but I am not Google and Microsoft either… Maybe staying with less protection for a couple of months more is not the end of the world.

But I think that the price for those kind of switches that I want is 3 times the price of the TL-SG108E (unfortunately), because they usually include other features that I don’t need, so I have some doubt if I should spend so much money.

At least, this guy has managed to somewhat “secure” his TL-SG108E by crashing its management interface (!):

Search for : "Not So Smart: TP-Link TL-SG105E V3.0 5-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch" (couldn't add a direct link)

Maybe I can take my chances with this hack (assuming that it still works) and avoid reconfiguring the switch often.

If anyone from the TP-LINK staff reads this, I think that a built-in way to gracefully shut down the management interface would be very nice.

It would secure the switch without any work required from the company or CPU power required by the switch.

I wish this feature gets included in a future firmware.

Then, you just have to restart the switch to get into the management interface.

Although, a loss of power will also cause the management interface to be re-enabled. L

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 694

Replies: 2

Related Articles