Dual-WAN Router (ER-6020) Slowing My Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-06 23:22:14 - last edited 2021-07-06 23:23:32
Model: TL-ER6020  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20150416 Rel.35252

I have a Dual-WAN router ER-6020. It is connected to my anemic CenturyLink DSL as a fail-over backup to my AT&T plan connecting via a Nighthawk M100. I work from home and need a reliable connection.

I have been sailing along for a long time with no problems. I was often seeing up to 100Mbps down using carrier aggregation. A few weeks ago, I started noticing a much slower connection. Multiple tests show it is now about 14Mbps down. I thought that maybe I was being throttled as I typically use >300GB in a month, but my billing period passed recently. Same speeds.

During the process of troubleshooting, I tethered the Nighthawk to my desktop directly (not going through the Dual-WAN router) and I can get close to 100Mbps again. I did this using both USB and Ethernet with the same result. Therefore, it appears the 6020 router is the problem. I did not change anything on the router and I can find nothing out of the ordinary on the router. It is entirely reproduce-able: tethered, speed is close to 100Mbps, through the router, is is around 14 Mbps.

I have run out of troubleshooting ideas. Can anyone think of something I haven't thought of to try to track this down?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Dual-WAN Router (ER-6020) Slowing My Connection
2021-07-07 09:25:38

@bjrody 

Download speed is usually limited by link speed. You can follow check if the link speed is normal or not.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2899/

If link speed is normal, you can use Iperf to measure the most accurate speed, reducing the network influence to the lowest:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2408/

Options
Re:Dual-WAN Router (ER-6020) Slowing My Connection
2021-07-07 20:29:32

@bjrody 

I was unable to determine the cause of the problem.  I had rebooted all devices at least once during the trobleshooting.  However, after another reboot today, the problem went away with no indication whatsoever of what the problem was.  It is frustrating because I hate unsolved problem, but I am happy with the result.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 2