What happens if Omada Controller is unavailable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-18 14:39:16
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the world of Omada and I installed an EAP245 in my home to test the product range.

I also setup a docker version of the omada controller software on a RasPi.

When I adopted my EAP, the EAP of course lost all control of itself or rather I could no longer control it directly via its web interface.

Of course this is logical, but what happens if the omada controller is down? Say I am backing up my RasPi or it crashes. Will the AP immediately stop functioning? Or will it (and all future components) continue to work because all settings and tasks are performed locally/on the device itself?

Thank you and best regards

Alex

Options
5 Reply
Re:What happens if Omada Controller is unavailable?
2021-07-18 17:20:32

I think I found a partial answer

https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/2051/

However, it only refers to EAPs. But in a VLAN (which according to the FAQ stays functional) thefe is usually also a switch involved. Qhat will happen there?

Especially since the switch will be creating VLANs for non-TP-Link devices.

Options
2021-07-21 17:50:13

Anybody?

Options
2021-07-21 20:31:21

@AleXSR700 

Your EAP continue to work but you lose some features of Omada controller like Mesh, Fast Roaming and Portal.

Best Regards

Options
2021-07-21 21:06:15 - last edited 2021-07-21 21:06:52

@Emitplink 

Thank you for your reply, but as I stated, I already know that now.

But what about a switch?

If I setup a switch to manage VLANs for devices like APs that are not Omada EAP and do not have built in VLAN capability. Will the switch continue to manage the VLANs and make sure that the VLANs remain intact and safe?

Options
2021-07-21 21:12:23

@AleXSR700 

Yes because the controller is just to manage and control the device through SDN and WebGui. But if the switch is configured and up and running, continue to work properly also without controller but you are not able to manage it till you power on the controller or install new one and restore the backup.

BR

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1761

Replies: 5

Related Articles