Setting up specific websites to be excluded from the VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-27 01:50:26
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20210512 Rel.48187

I have some websites that are geographically specific, that is, they wil not work while I am on my vpn connected to another country as they are supposed to only be accessible from my own country. How can I set those websites up such that all traffic to and from them is not included in the VPN tunnel I have running? I have played around with the web filtering and url filtering options allow/block etc. but still no luck.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Setting up specific websites to be excluded from the VPN
2021-07-28 07:22:41

@Luds 

It seems that this article "What to do if you want to access the Internet with the local gateway rather than the PPTP/L2TP VPN Server?" will help you.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3045/

Do you use the ER7206 as VPN Server on the remote site? 

Options
2021-07-28 20:23:14

@John1234 thank you for your reply. I am only a client and the VPN server is a service to which I subscribe - I do not know what equipment they have on the other side - 

Options
2021-07-30 09:11:53

@Luds 

How about unchecking “Use default gateway on remote network” and “Disable class-based route addition”?

Options
2021-08-01 04:21:10

@John1234 I must apologize, I was not clear. Just so that every device on my internal network is secure, all VPN routing takes place at my VPN router which acts as client to my VPN provider. All clients go through this tunnel and have no other connection to the internet. My TL-ER7206 vpn router does not have the capability to put any logic in place to bypass the tunnel and allow clients to directly go to the local internet if they are trying to go to one of these "US - Required" web sites. What I need was for the local internal router to decide to bypass the tunnel depending upon the request it receives. All of my internal networked client devices have only this one connection to the internet and there is no VPN software installed on any of them on purpose, I need the router to handle everything so all internal devices are protected the same way. This way, if the rule for bypassing the tunnel is within the router itself, then any client trying to go to one of those "us-required" web sites would all bypass the tunnel. I had heard that this kind of logic may be possible within an OpenVPN configuration file but the TL-ER7206 only supports OpenVPN as client - when it is actually controlled by an Omada Controller rather than in standalone mode. I'd rather not have to but I've gone and purchased an OC200 (Omada Hardware Controller) and am studying how to reconfigure .ovpn files. Can you think of a way if doing this with just the TL-ER7206 instead of having to buy the OC200? (I hope that now makes more sense...)?

Options
2021-08-03 08:37:15

@Luds 

To my knowledge, there isn't a single setting on the TP router that can do that. What you described is more like a rules-based control. That's some kind of VPN software that has built-in bypass rules. I know Asus can use 3rd part software to install some kind of vpn. Set up your own bypass rules. TP routers won't do that. And, I am not aware of any firmware that can be flashed on TP routers like Asus.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 674

Replies: 5