SSID with multiple VLAN (VLAN Grouping)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-27 05:01:17 - last edited 2021-07-27 05:04:15
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if I can assign more than single vlan for SSID. I'm using AP EAP225(US) v3.0 (not in the list).

In my production I have more than 1000 wireless clients, so I prefer to not to switch from /24 network, but use multiple /24 vlans for client separation.

I also have an Aruba controller, and there I can put multiple VLANs to SSID (ex. 1,3,5,7,20) and the cliens will be distributed between these VLANs. Check screenshot.

Can you add this feature to Omada controller?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:SSID with multiple VLAN (VLAN Grouping)
2021-07-28 07:42:31

@4uba On Omada Controller, one SSID can only set up one VLAN ID.

If you want to differentiate the clients, you may need to create more than one SSID with a related VLAN ID, or just set up a different WiFi name and password.

Options
2021-07-28 22:49:38

@John1234, thanks for obvious explanation, but it's ridiculous that you offer me to create more SSID to separate users. Lol

would you like me to create SSID-1, SSID-2, SSID-3... -10 if I have 2k clients? Lol

i think it should be a signal to production team to implement this feature. 

Options
2021-10-21 20:01:04

@John1234 Hi, they have implemented this but not in a straight forward way.

As described on page2 of this thread, you can select WPA2 Enterprise and have a Radius Server dictate which VLAN a client should be mapped to:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/106967?page=2

I will create a new feature request with a different way of handling dynamic VLAN tagging on the same SSID. I'm not too keen on using WPA2 Enterprise, since we have a bunch of equipment not supporting it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1131

Replies: 3